Dry Socket

My wisdom tooth blood clot came out. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, Before eight hours, I got my wisdom tooth out. My mouth was filled with blood. Just 30 minutes ago, a small piece like a blood clot came out of my bottom right socket. When I look at my holes in the mirror, they are all filled with dark blood. Can I get a dry socket? Should I need to go b...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since your socket is filled with blood, there is nothing to worry much. Regarding this socket, I cannot assure you without seeing the image. Maintain your oral hygiene and follow the instructions given by your dentist. Do warm salt water gargling after a day and for the...  Read Full »

I feel pain and swelling in the tooth extracted area. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, 4 days ago, I got four teeth removed, but it was more like 8 because my teeth were broken and at gum level. Since then, I noticed what seems like a slither of tooth appearance. Then, as of yesterday a big what looks to be tooth has suddenly surfaced and it is swollen around that area ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to take the painkiller three times a day for five days atleast. The pain will be there for first three to four days, and the wound will appear like yellowish-white color. It is normal, so do not touch the area at all and avoid brushing in the area also. If t...  Read Full »

When should I remove the guaze piece after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom tooth extracted. It has been 10 hours since the tooth had been take out. How long should I keep my gauze in? I have read articles on recovery, and it says a lot of reference to "dry socket," which I am trying to avoid.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The gauze piece can be generally removed after one to two hours, provided everything is normal. Otherwise, you can change the gauze piece, along with the medication on it, and you can put fresh cotton. I do not know what your dentist had suggested to you. But I would s...  Read Full »

What is the recovery time after the removal of horizontally impacted wisdom tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and had my lower wisdom tooth removed eight days ago. They were horizontally impacted. My question is why am I still in pain? I do not have pain in my extraction site. The pain is in the hinges of my jaw and down in my jaw bone. My extraction site looks fine, pink hea...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This type of extraction (lower wisdom tooth) is difficult and usually takes at least two weeks of healing time. It can be painful till then due to removal of some bone from the sides of the impacted wisdom teeth. Think as if you had a fracture in that area; fractures u...  Read Full »

Can a dentist tell if you smoke from looking inside the mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to remove my impacted wisdom tooth in two days. I am a frequent smoker. Can a dentist tell if I smoke or not by just seeing inside my mouth? If yes, how can I prevent the dentist from knowing that I am a smoker? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. Do not smoke before the dentist appointment. First of all, I would like to tell you that smoking before tooth extraction is problematic for you. If you smoke before extraction, anesthesia will not be effective. And you will experience too much of pai...  Read Full »

Having pain in the region where my tooth was removed. Can you suggest some temporary relief?

Query: Hello doctor,I took off my first molar teeth due to careless RCT before a week. And for the past two days, I am having severe pain in the whole region from where the tooth has been removed. Especially it pains after evening time. Can you please tell me any treatment that I can perform now for tempor...  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is possibly due to dry socket or presence of root fragment left behind in the socket. You can take fresh radiograph fresh and send it with a photograph of the socket to confirm whether it is due to dry socket or root tip. Kindly consult your doctor to discuss a...  Read Full »

I have pain in the tooth socket even after six days of extraction. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had simple extraction of my second bottom tooth. It is day six today since I have removed. I was feeling major pain a few days ago but it is fading away day by day. I actually feel no pain in the morning but in the afternoon I feel discomfort. When can all this go away? I was expect...  Read Full »

Dr. Naseer Bhat

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should have been fine till now as advised by your dentist but that was when everything post-extraction would have been fine. Unfortunately, in your case, you have got dislodgement of the blood clot after the exaction was done and this condition is called as dry...  Read Full »

Does dry socket result from smoking 24 hours after tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a dry socket, but wait for a week, for it to heal. Also, if the pain exceeds more than seven days, then visit a dentist and get an x-ray done. Until then, follow the prescribed medications and quit smoking, as it is not a good habit. Drink lots of water,...  Read Full »

I got a tooth pulled and it smells. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I just had a tooth pulled. There is an unpleasant smell with a green slimy stuff in the extraction site. Is that normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you are explaining are probably due to infection at the extraction site or due to loss of blood clot leading to dry socket formation. You should get a clinical examination done by a dentist. If there is any infection, then cleaning the area with antisep...  Read Full »

Why are my bottom gums purple after tooth removal?

Query: Hi doctor, I pulled my tooth recently. Now, I have noticed a white patch on my gums, and the gums present on the bottom of my mouth has turned purplish. What could it be?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your extraction socket has not healed correctly. There can be a left root stump. It makes the healing process delayed. You must visit the dentist to resolve the problem. If you have bur...  Read Full »