Q. Can dry socket occur due to smoking?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Is it normal for the tooth extraction healing process to exceed one week? Specifically, rawness accompanied by dull pain. I am a smoker and concerned whether dry socket can occur due smoking on day six after the procedure.

#

Normal complete healing of an extracted tooth socket will definitely take up to two weeks. As you have asked, the rawness and dull pain would be there in the first week. Also, dry socket can occur within the first three days of extraction and not anytime later. It happens only if the blood clot after extraction is continuously interrupted through smoking habits or even a vigorous gargling or brushing. But, in my opinion, I advise you to quit smoking until the wound heals which is simply the best to do. Also, try to avoid hot and spicy food and prefer cold fruit juices or yogurt that soothes the wound rather than irritating the healing gums.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|