Q. Routine echo shows moderate pulmonary hypertension. What does it mean?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I had a routine echo done a couple of weeks ago and just got the results yesterday. The sheet says moderate pulmonary hypertension with peak pressure 54 mmHg and central venous pressure of 15.0. Since I only picked up the results no one explained it to me but set up an appointment with lung and heart specialist in six months. What does all this mean? I am a hypertensive and pre-diabetic. Currently, I am on Lisinopril 10 mg.

#

This means pressure in the pulmonary circulation has increased likely due to lung problem (if echo is not showing any abnormalities other than this). Likely this is related to obesity although we need to rule out other causes of pulmonary hypertension by doing CT scan and other few investigations. Do you have shortness of breath, any other symptoms to suggest some cause? You should focus on healthy lifestyle and weight loss.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Everything else came up good. Those were the only two items which were marked. I do not have any shortness of breath, in fact, I have already lost more than 20 pounds in last four months and have increased my workouts because I have been able to tolerate it much better. I have been able to increase cardio and starting weights and overall feel much better lately which is why this surprised me.

#

It does not appear to be a worrisome matter. So likely cause in you is obesity-related only. I guess you do not have night symptoms like snoring, interrupted sleep, frequent awakenings, daytime sleepiness, etc. So this rules out obstructive sleep apnea.

Another important thing, we need to rule is DVT (deep vein thrombosis), which I guess is also not there. Symptoms include pain and edema of legs, history of some trauma and bedridden state for some time or any major medical and other surgical illness in the past requiring hospitalization and bedridden state for few days.

And physician must have auscultated you to rule out crepitations and interstitial lung disease. I assume you do not smoke and if yes then please quit. Also, see if there are any work-related exposure to fine particles, etc. So these rules out common causes. And that is great, you are losing weight and continue to do so. Pressures will take few months to decrease after you have lost weight if it is only related to obesity. So I think, the best course of action for you is repeating echo after six months as your appointment is at that time, and if pressures are still high then HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) chest, pulmonary function test, and VQ (ventilation-perfusion) scan.

That makes me feel better. I will see the lung and heart specialist in six months. I know reading so much online scared me so much and has me worried for days. I know it still could be a possibility but I feel a little better with your answer.

#

You are welcome and all the best.

|