Electrophysiological Study

Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now. Lately, he was hospitalized f...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, from the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears that he is having bradycardia and sinus arrhythmia, but no tachycardia. So, according to me, electrophysiology (EP) studies may be helpful, but not necessary. It could be due to thy...  Read Full »

Do my cardiac issues put me at risk for sudden cardiac death?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a long, complicated cardiac history and currently seeing a cardiologist. It started with chest pains, and I ended up having an episode of NSVT last year. I am now on Bisoprolol and Amlodipine. The cardiologist thinks my condition is coronary artery spasm and just an ectopic focu...  Read Full »

Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An excellent narrative history. I think you had only one episode of tachycardia of ventricular origin, which was nonsustained. Other reports of few years are not justified with the ventricular tachycardia. You might be having an idiopathic origin of ventricular tachycardi...  Read Full »

Is Electrophysiological study necessary for heartbeat irregularities?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old male, and I have a heart condition from when I was three years old. My heartbeats get very fast all of a sudden. What is the name of my heart problem? The ECG report was not normal. I am taking ayurvedic medicines for this problem. A doctor told me to get a surgery ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your heart condition is a cardiac arrhythmia, which is called PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia), in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. The blood pressure falls during these episodes, and one has dizziness, fainting, bla...  Read Full »

I am experiencing heart flutters and skipped beats. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male, who is 5.9 feet tall and weighs 160 lbs. I have been experiencing weird heart flutters and skipped beats. It mostly happens when I am at the gym lifting weight, and taking a deep breath in while doing so. I have always exercised without experiencing such feelin...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are probably having PVCs (premature ventricular contractions), which are extra beats and most of the time are benign and not worrisome. The other possibility is atrial fibrillation, especially, if you have episodes of rapid heart beat. Usually, at this young age, i...  Read Full »

My aortic valve is leaky, and I have pain in my chest and jaws. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 41 year old, and since the past five years, I have had some heart issues. I was hospitalized for SVT, five years back. The medications had it under control for a while, but I got older, a little bit heavier, and had some life changes, so things changed. It was also recommended that...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I think you should upload your reports like the echocardiogram to know the severity of aortic regurgitation, and electrocardiography to know what kind of SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) it was. It will give a better idea if it is PSVT (paroxysmal supraventr...  Read Full »

Is an anion gap of 20 mmol/L bad?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old female, and I went to the ER four days back for SVT. Apparently, my anion gap was 20 mmol/L. Is this bad? The BUN was less than 3, ionized calcium was 1.11 and low creatinine. I am freaking out as no one went over the results with me. I have had four cases of SVT ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, low BUN (blood urea nitrogen) and creatinine levels are not a matter of worry. Normal BUN range is from 2.5 to 7.1 mmol/L. Also, ionized calcium is a bit lower but still normal. Anion gap is high, but it has got significance if you have acidosis as well l...  Read Full »

Shall I get chemical stress test to know the reason for tachycardia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old postmenopausal woman, who is 223 pounds and 5 foot 8 inches height. I have no known heart conditions except for many PVCs and PACs. I was recently diagnosed and picked up on a 48-hour Holter with atrial flutter. My doctor did not say that I had aFib. Doctor wants me ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Episodic tachycardia in the setting of PAC and PVC (premature atrial and ventricular contractions) is suggestive of arrhythmia, may be atrial fibrillation or flutter. We should try to find the cause for it. Do you smoke or have alcohol or any other stimulant drugs...  Read Full »