Q. Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Bradycardia or Hypothyroidism? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Could my father's bradycardia be linked to his thyroid gland disorder?

My father was diagnosed with thyroid gland disorder wherein T3 and T4 levels come as normal in results while TSH is pretty much high. Sometimes, the TSH value rises to 100. He has been on Levothyroxine or Eltroxin 100 mcg for the last 17 to 18 years now.

Lately, he was hospitalized for emergency due to low heart rate and breathlessness. After many tests like Holter test, the bradycardia or arrhythmia was seen.

Doctors have advised for EP study test which I am worried about because we can afford it neither financially nor psychologically.

Could this be linked to hypothyroidism or the medicines for it? Heart specialists have prescribed Epsolin for controlling heart rate. What should we do? Please help.