Q. IgG value is high during pregnancy. What does it indicate?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My sister-in-law is in 20 weeks of gestation. She is 29 years old. She has not had any recent mononucleosis like symptoms. She was recently flagged with high IgG titers for toxoplasmosis. We are presently waiting to speak with a high risk obstetrician and gynaecologist. We are looking for a second opinion. Please help.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem. However I would like you to answer few questions, so that I can help you better.

• Firstly write down the value of IgG in your feedback together with reference values. Anyway, I understood it is elevated.
  • Elevated IgG should be correlated with IgM values. The results suggest the infection was acquired in the distant past by positive IgG and negative IgM antibody. Positive IgM and rising IgG titer suggest present infection.

For further information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Thank you for your reply. The value for toxoplasma IgG is 250 IU/mL (abnormal). The Reference Range is < 6.4 IU/mL. Negative if < 6.5 IU/mL, indeterminate - 6.5-7.9 IU/mL and positive when greater than or equal to 8.0 IU/mL. The IgM value was not present there; I do not know if that means it was not present, low or not tested for. Once she meets with her high risk obstetrician and gynecologist consultant, I will have more detailed information.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• The IgG values are very high. IgM was not tested.
  • The interpretation of the results of toxoplasma antibodies are sometimes equivocal and may require further testing at reference laboratories.
  • Often the infection starts before conception, but the antibodies persist for months. Rising titer of antibodies is better indicator of present infection.

Ask a Fetal Medicine Specialist Now