Emphysema

How to manage bilateral pneumothorax and mediastinal emphysema?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a specialist in pulmonology. My wife has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. She is having a small rim of pneumothoraces bilaterally with subcutaneous disease and mediastinal emphysema. I am attaching here her medical test reports for review by a specialist who can su...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all CT scan reports and images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like this is a long-standing problem and it is progressing as well. But, unfortunately, there is no mention of the chief complaints of the patient and no p...  Read Full »

I have bronchitis, and recently diagnosed with emphysema. Can I continue with antibiotics?

Query: Hello doctor, A year ago, I was diagnosed with Emphysema, and before four years, I was diagnosed with bronchitis, but after six months, I had a warm feeling in my stomach, followed by nausea. I need to know if I should be going back to the ER or continue to take my antibiotics and not stress over it...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Rathee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, you need not go to the ER. The burning sensation in the stomach and nausea you are having is not related to your emphysema and bronchitis. It is actually due to the antibiotics and other medicines you are taking because antibiotics cause secretion of an excessive...  Read Full »

In RCT, does air spray over CaOH filled canal cause emphysema on soft tissues of the face?

Query: Hello doctor, During root canal treatment does air spray over CaOH filled canal cause emphysema on soft tissues of the face? How can one distinguish emphysema from flare-up?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your question. Emphysema of the face is directly linked with air trap under your skin. It gives a crackling sensation because of the air pressure underneath and looks like a smooth swelling of the face. Root canal flare-up might result in swelling but wi...  Read Full »

Would emphysema been shown on a CT scan and chest x-ray?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a chest x-ray and chest ct scan done. And they both came back normal. If I had emphysema would it have shown up on one of those two tests?  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Significant emphysema in the lungs would have been visualized in the x-rays. Early stages of emphysema are difficult to see on x-ray and are visualized only on HRCT (high-resolution computerized tomography) chest scan. If X-rays are normal then more likely that you ...  Read Full »

If I stop smoking, can I live long?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a CT scan on head, neck and chest. My doctor told me that I have chronic sinus. I already knew these things and had sinus surgery. But, in the report it was mentioned as mild emphysema. Can that get fixed if I stop smoking? I am using Advair for years for asthma. I visited pulm...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Emphysema is a non-reversible change in the lungs. But, yes, the further progression can be controlled by stopping smoking. Now, to know the extent of damage, I would advise to go for pulmonary function test (spirometry) that would help you to k...  Read Full »

I got a PFT done. Kindly check and guide me if the values are fine.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a signal arthritis. Rib cage hurts when I breathe. I had a clear COPD four years back and normal PFT. I stopped smoking ten years ago. I am a swimmer and have breathing problem. I also have suspected connective tissue disease. I am currently taking Humira, Methotrexate and daily I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your pulmonary function test (PFT) values are totally fine. Any value above 80% of predicted value is considered as normal. So, your values are too good. For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmon...  Read Full »

Can smoking cause high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and shortness of breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I suffered from bronchitis, four years ago. Since it got cured, I smoked cigarettes for two years and gradually stopped smoking. Recently, I have high blood pressure, increased heart rate, and I have shortness of breath. I started running 2 km daily. Why am I having all these symptoms?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have a history of smoking, smoking-induced left ventricular hypertrophy, emphysema, bronchitis, pulmonary congestion, etc., can lead to such presentation. You need to do the following investigations: Auscultation. Chest x-ray. 2D echocardiography or...  Read Full »

In PFT, what does fair lung volume mean?

Query: Hi doctor, Here are the details of my chest issues that I was hoping you could help me with. I will attach all the information I have in terms of x-rays and function tests. I am 37 year old otherwise healthy female with normal BMI. I have a smoking history of 16 packs a year. Four years ago, I quit...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your initial x-ray itself was showing some signs of hyperinflation and the subsequent x-rays shows increased hyperinflation. So, it is not a new finding, but worsening of the initial finding (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Unless some intervention is don...  Read Full »