Encephalitis

How common is it for herpes infection to progress to encephalitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with my partner about five months back. We both went for HIV tridot tests, VRDL tests, HBsAg tests after four months. All came back negative for both. Our medicine specialist did not advise herpes screening. We both have no lesions or bumps at all. Also, I am to...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Meena

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are concerned. Routinely we advise HIV, HbsAg, HCV, and VDRL, and Herpes serology for sexually transmitted diseases. Genital herpes is mostly caused by HSV 2 (herpes simplex virus) virus and oral herpes by HSV 1. In serology, the large popul...  Read Full »

How to manage herpes encephalitis?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother had COVID-19, and it developed into encephalitis. The neurologists are saying it could be viral or limbic. We wonder if you can help diagnose if we sent you the MRI images and laboratory reports. His symptoms are confusion (he thinks that his kids are his brothers), hallucinati...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to know regarding this problem that your brother is facing. After reading the history and checking his reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), viral encephalitis is more likely given the MRI images. And the hallucination and psychosis are because...  Read Full »

What condition can cause neck stiffness, severe headaches, leg weakness, and hand tingling?

Query: hello sir/madam actually my father has DM ,htn ,psoriasis and psoriasis arthritis. now from some days he has neck stiffness, sudden severe head ache . pain usually start from back of the head or temple side . pain start anytime throungout the day . weakness in leg . hand tingling. walking weaknes...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello. Welcome to icliniq. The symptoms that you have mentioned in your father suggest towards brain infection or meningitis/encephalitis or cerebral vascular accident/cva which means either a bleeding from the vessels or blockage in the vessels. The good thing is that the most lethal out of the a...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any treatment available for hearing loss due to encephalitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old son got encephalitis 40 days back, and he was discharged in five days from the hospital. He recovered very well. We noticed hearing loss from one month. Bera test report shows profound hearing loss, but MRI and Ct are fine. My doctor suggested a cochlear implant. But we ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surviving encephalitis is like getting another life, given its drastic complications. But the risk of developing long term complications often creates problems. Hearing loss occurs in approximately 2-4% following brain infection. It was rightly detected with BERA (b...  Read Full »

My dad is in coma now. What will be the prognosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My dad is suffering from JE and both his thalamus are infected. Now, he is in coma. What is the prognosis of his condition?  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. There is considerable variation in the incidence and severity of sequelae in patients surviving viral encephalitis. The incidence and severity of sequelae were direct...  Read Full »

How to reduce the anger of my son?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is very aggressive, sensitive, short temper, get panic, hyper and angry quickly. He could not listen to any good suggestions or guidance. He does not have a mental resistance. However, he is very sincere about his studies. He has got 83% marks in his studies. Now, he is preparing fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your son has suffered from viral encephalitis at a very young age, which could have been a significant insult to the growing brain. The irritability and anger outbursts are a result of post encephalitis sequelae. It can be controlled with medications. I suggest tablet Oxe...  Read Full »

Will I get a sore on my genitals during every HSV-1 outbreak?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with HSV-1, but all other tests like HIV, HBsAg, HCV, VDRL, and TPHA are normal. I got infected with HSV through oral sex. My first outbreak was about four months back, and I got sores in the genital area, mouth, head, and my waist. Recently, a sore has erupted in my mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Repeated outbreak of HSV (herpes simplex virus) are common, but repeated outbreaks are usually shorter and less severe. Although the organism stays in the body for the rest of your life, the number of outbreaks tends to decrease over a period of years.  At the time of...  Read Full »

Does my MRI explain as to why am I feeling lost and confused?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old woman who has been experiencing mental confusion, concentration problems, memory loss, blurry vision, burning sensation in my head, personality change, and short-term memory loss. I forget conversation, repeat questions over and over, zone out when people are talking t...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI of the brain is normal, except some sinusitis. I would like to ask a few questions. Since when are you experiencing these symptoms? Do you have a headache or vomiting? Is there any history of seizures or loss of consciousness? How is your sleep? Are you t...  Read Full »

How can blood show HSV-1 IgG positive without any symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I weigh 68 Kg and my height 5'5". I am in a healthy status. History: No episodes of herpes except chickenpox in childhood. No infection of HIV - clinically tested every 6 months since last 7 years. I am straight and only 1 relationship with spouse. Both me and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing all the details. I shall answer your questions one by one. 1. As you have mentioned that you do not have any symptoms at the moment, there is no need to take Acyclovir. 2. A repeat test can be done just for your reassurance. Chances of false positi...  Read Full »

What is the risk of HSV encephalitis in a HSV 1 positive person?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from HSV 1. I have a mild recurrence on my mouth and face. Will I get HSV encephalitis at any point of life? My immune system is healthy and I do not have much blisters.  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Infection with HSV 1 (herpes simplex virus) results in immunity against it. But, the virus remains dormant in the body and can reactivate later in life causing encephalitis if it enters the brain. How it can come to the brain is not completely understood, but decrease...  Read Full »