Q. My son is suffering from hearing loss due to encephalitis. Is there any alternate for cochlear implant?

Dr. Sirisha
Published on Nov 06, 2019

My 2-year-old son got encephalitis 40 days back, and he was discharged in five days from the hospital. He recovered very well. We noticed hearing loss from one month. Bera test report shows profound hearing loss, but MRI and Ct are fine. My doctor suggested a cochlear implant. But we want to know if any other alternative is possible like giving steroids?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

Surviving encephalitis is like getting another life, given its drastic complications. But the risk of developing long term complications often creates problems. Hearing loss occurs in approximately 2-4% following brain infection. It was rightly detected with BERA (brainstem evoked response audiometry). Having profound hearing loss means it is a severe form of hearing loss.

Options for the treatment of hearing loss:

1) Treating the underlying condition, if still persisting. (in your case it is already cured).

2) Hearing aids, as many varieties are available. It improves hearing but does not restore hearing to normal.

3) cochlear implants for severe to profound sensory neural hearing loss, or when hearing aids fail.

The younger the child at the time of hearing loss, and the delay in diagnosis can affect hearing and communication skills. As your child is above 2 years, and you have identified the problem early enough, the main aim is to develop his communication skills, which can happen with adequate hearing. And good results are achieved with proper treatment.

Giving steroids for your child would not solve this problem. Steroids are given during the acute infection process of the disease to prevent some complications from occurring. Your child would require a multidisciplinary approach including pediatrician, audiologist, speech therapist, ENT specialist, and psychologist, or behavior therapist if required.

Going for cochlear implant seems to be the better option for your child. Because hearing can affect communication and interaction, it has to be tackled properly with appropriate treatment options. Observe for visual difficulties, because they would depend on the vision for understanding the language until they have good hearing. Cochlear implants are also known to give better vocabulary compared to hearing aids. You can discuss treatment options with a ENT specialist.

Will typhoid cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife lost her hearing for the past 30 hours. I took her to the doctor and he said it is because of typhoid fever. My wife got fever 15 days back. So, what should we do? Will she get her hearing back?  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to audiometry (attachment removed to protect patient identity), she is having a nerve loss. Acute,¬†sudden hearing loss is possible after typhoid or any other viral fever. Mostly, it is not 100% recoverable. If she is absolutely fine, then I suggest her tablet N...  Read Full

Will there be hearing loss on using noise cancellation headphones 10 hours a day?

Query: Hello doctor, For my work which needs concentration, I need a noise cancellation headphone which filters out sounds. Is there any chance of hearing loss or impairment with use for 10 to 12 hours a day?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you should not use headphones for more than three hours in your case. It also depends on what frequency and what decibel of sound the noise cancellation masker will have. You can rather use ear plugs. For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --...  Read Full

I am pregnant and I have nerve pain all over my face. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old female with a height of 5 feet 5 inches weighing 140 pounds, healthy, non-smoking, non-drinking female with no drugs and no other known health problems. Two months ago, I was exposed to HSV-1 and then seven days later, I was tested positive for HSV-1 oral with IgG ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are compatible with trigeminal neuralgia. I agree with your doctor's decision to avoid performing brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or any medication within the first trimester. Regarding encephalitis, you should know that it is a very serious condit...  Read Full