Endarterectomy

What are the treatment options for peripheral artery disease (PAD)?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 47 year old female, who has had a 90 % blocked carotid artery and subsequent endarterectomy at the age of 42 years. A year later, I had a massive heart attack and 100 % block in my right coronary artery. I was just diagnosed with PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) last week. Additi...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. Statins are widely used to treat PAD. Depending on other conditions, antihypertensives and medicines to control blood sugar levels are prescribed to patients with hypertension and diabetes res...  Read Full »

Is it possible for the carotid patch to become unattached after carotid endarterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent carotid endarterectomy before four months on my right carotid artery. After a doppler test, it showed 90 % stenosis. A patch was used during surgery. It seemed to be fine after surgery. On follow up, I consulted a vascular surgeon. He told me that I have a right and better re...  Read Full »

Dr. Himanshu Verma

Vascular Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is perfectly normal to have stretching sensation in any surgical area. You may have less sensation in the neck and lower cheek. It is advised to be careful when you shave as you might accidentally cut it.  Read Full »

Can physiotherapy help my mom recover from a one-sided paralysis?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has left side paralysis since three years. At the very instant she had it, we started physiotherapy. At that time, we also got an MRI of the brain done, reports of which I am attaching. In the report, it was mentioned that both the ICA are normal and we continued the physiot...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The neck doppler needs to be done to estimate the size of the stenosis. If it is more than 70 %, you will need to take her for a carotid endarterectomy procedure. Right now, I suggest the followi...  Read Full »

Can blood clots in arteries of the neck be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother has blood clots in the left and some right side arteries around the neck. The blood is not going to the brain from these clotted arteries. She did not get any brain stroke, but she has tremors, and sometimes she is unable to move her left hand. We took her to the hospital, and...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun Tungaria

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think you are talking about carotid vessel disease, with blockage both sides. Management depends on the degree of blockage on an investigation called an angiography. So, the next step is to get a CT or MRI angiography. For more information consult a neurosurgeon onlin...  Read Full »