Q. Can physiotherapy help my mom recover from a one-sided paralysis?

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene
Published on Aug 05, 2017

My mother has left side paralysis since three years. At the very instant she had it, we started physiotherapy. At that time, we also got an MRI of the brain done, reports of which I am attaching. In the report, it was mentioned that both the ICA are normal and we continued the physiotherapy. After that, we again got an MRI done last year, which was an MRI of the brain with neck vessels and intracranial circulation. This report shows that in the right ICA there is 60 to 70 % stenosis and 30 to 40 % stenosis in the left ICA. So, I want to ask you if there is any need for a doppler ultrasound. Should we get this removed? Will it help in recovery? I ask because my mother has not yet recovered fully. Right now, she is taking Asomex 2.5, Folydol-M, Atorva 10 mg and Ecosprin 75 mg. So, please help me with this query. 

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The neck doppler needs to be done to estimate the size of the stenosis. If it is more than 70 %, you will need to take her for a carotid endarterectomy procedure.
  • Right now, I suggest the following:
  1. Increase Atorvastatin to 20 mg and continue the BP medications and Ecosprin 75 mg.
  2. Maintain good oral hygiene.
  3. Do exercises regularly.
  4. Continue physiotherapy.
  • Recovery from the previous stroke will be slow but continuous. Physiotherapy can help improve her strength. Removing the stenosis will help reduce a risk of a future stroke. It will not help in any way for the recovery from her old stroke.

I hope this answeres your query. Take care. Feel free to contact me for any further assistance.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

How to manage lung infection and paralysis after gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt had faced an operation of her gallbladder and the doctor said that she is good and the operation is successful. But after 3 days she faced lung infection, on which the current report says that the virus are reduced from 35000 to 16500 in 5 days. Also her right hand and right leg ...  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »