Q. Can blood clots in arteries of the neck be treated?

Dr. Arun Tungaria

My mother has blood clots in the left and some right side arteries around the neck. The blood is not going to the brain from these clotted arteries. She did not get any brain stroke, but she has tremors, and sometimes she is unable to move her left hand. We took her to the hospital, and the doctor gave her an injection to remove the clots through her thigh, but it was unsuccessful. The clots are still there, and she is taking tablets. She also has diabetes. Please help.

#

• I think you are talking about carotid vessel disease, with blockage both sides.
  • Management depends on the degree of blockage on an investigation called an angiography.
  • So, the next step is to get a CT or MRI angiography.

For more information consult a neurosurgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

Thank you for replying. Is carotid vessel disease curable? Can we clear the clot and make the blood reach the brain again? What do I need to do?

#

• Yes, carotid vessel disease is curable with a surgery called as carotid endarterectomy.
  • But before that, please consult a neuro physician or neurosurgeon, so that he can clinically examine the patient and advise for proper investigations.
  • CT and MRI angiography are usually required, but DSA (digital subtraction angiography) could be better.
  • It all depends on how your neuro physician or neurosurgeon or interventional neuroradiologist approaches to the case.

For further queries consult a neurosurgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|