Epstein Barr Virus

How to treat chronic fatigue and weakness due to positive EBV?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had problems with chronic fatigue for the past 10 years. I was reading about EBV and the test came back positive. Can you review the attached report and give me analysis and next steps as far as testing and treatment?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The positive IgG report can be due to past infection as well. To rule out recent infection, you need to investigate with IgM antibody estimation against EBV (Epstein-Barr virus). ...  Read Full »

Other than hepatitis, what can cause increased bilirubin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have jaundice. My biliurubin was 7.5 three weeks ago. I went to the doctor for jaundice. Weekly blood tests as of three weeks show bilirubin has been increasing. Hep test shows I do not have hepatitis. Ultrasound says no tumor bile duct coverage or stones. I took a CT scan and the r...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your US (ultrasound) and CT (computed tomography) scan are normal which is kind of satisfying to me. Of course you suppose to have more blood tests to confirm the origin of this jaundice. Hepatitis, although common, but they are not the only one to cause live...  Read Full »

Why did my friend fall sick after cocaine abuse?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend abused weed, alcohol and cocaine in a span of 20 days. Last two days he had cocaine twice, even though that was the first time and did not sleep. Then, he travelled and became sick with 104 degree fever, cough, swollen tonsils and right knee numbness. His blood test result showe...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am very much concerned about acquiring diseases that could be transmitted through contaminated needles namely HIV, hepatitis B and C. He may be exposed to EBV infection (Epstein-Barr virus) or just acute tonsillitis due to strep throat or other viral infection (Influ...  Read Full »

What is Zovirax used for?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, I had fever and headache. From then I am having gait and muscle pains. After many tests, doctor suggested EBV test. Results are IgG positive and IgM came negative and then gave Zovirax 800. I am shocked as it is a tablet for HIV. Does my EBV report say that I have HIV...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zovirax (Acyclovir) is actually a medicine for viral infection and your physician is on right lines. Do not worry about that. Not many benefits are seen with Zovirax in infectious mononucleosis (IM) caused by Epstein-Barr virus- EBV, but this is good if indicated. Yes,...  Read Full »

What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma?

Query: Hi doctor, What is non-Hodgkin lymphoma? What can cause NHL? Which age group is more commonly affected? Can NHL occur without any family history? Does all left supraclavicular (Virchow's node) node is associated with lymphoma? Can single small but persistent size of lymph node enough for NHL? Why m...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) is a group of lymphomas, which does not fall into the classification of Hodgkin's lymphoma. Anything which does not fit the criteria of Hodgkin's is NHL.NHL can be caused due to a viral infection like Epstein Barr Virus, radiation, immune-modify...  Read Full »

I have Epstein Barr virus and numerous enlarged lymph nodes. What are they?

Query: Hello doctor, Needle core biopsy of 1.5 cm lymph node in the abdomen at porta hepatis. Numerous small and large nodes are present. Flow cytometry shows peripheral blood contaminated specimen, lymphocytes population is 97 % of total leukocytes and consists of T-cells helper and suppressor immunoph an...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hereby, I am giving my opinion for your case. You are having ebstein bar virus infection. This virus can lead to hepatitis development and enlarged lymph nodes. You are right on your suspicion that multiple enlarged lymph nodes raised suspicion towards malignancy esp...  Read Full »

Epstein-Barr IgM is positive, but undetectable in PCR. Still, I am sick, could it be chronic fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had reactivated Epstein-Barr for a year. I recently got a blood test, which said, faint monoclonal band detected in the gamma region, repeat blood test in six months. There is no immunoparesis, and my levels have risen in the last four months, but still in the normal range. What d...  Read Full »

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns. The brief history you have described suggest a possibility of past infection with EBV (Ebstein-Barr virus). Probably you had an episode of IMN( infectious mononucleosis) in the childhood, which is quit...  Read Full »

How can I treat the Epstein-Barr virus infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of anxiety and panic issues. I was trying to find out the root cause of it and I have found that I have IgG antibodies against Epstein-Barr Virus and a Streptococcal infection (Anti-DNase B Test) in my throat. I also seem to have OCD issues and always remember having...  Read Full »

Dr. Manish Purohit

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Microbiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I understand you are having antibody against EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) and Streptococcal infection but you have never suffered from EBV disease. You only had some episode of Streptococcal throat infection in the past. So first I wish to explain you that ...  Read Full »

What does IgG positive and IgM negative mean in an EBV test?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently got EBV test done. My result was IgG positive and IgM negative. What does this mean? Is it life threatening like HIV? Is it contagious? Please guide.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. IgM (immunoglobulin M) negative and IgG (immunoglobulin G) positive means that you do not have acute infection, but may be a carrier of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) which is not as dangerous as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and can be easily treated. You may develop ...  Read Full »

Can CMV and Epstein-Barr virus cause genital ulcers?

Query: Hello doctor, I have three questions. 1) Can cytomegalovirus and Epstein Barr virus cause genital ulcers? 2) My immunoglobulins were low for IgM at 25 and high for IgE at 151. Could there be anything to worry? 3) I am sending a picture of something that appeared in my mouth. Could that be...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With your descriptions and the picture attached, it seems you have candidiasis or oral lichen planus. The CMV (cytomegalovirus) and EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) both d...  Read Full »