Q. Our baby was born with esophageal atresia. Is this a complicated situation?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

We have a baby born with esophageal atresia without fistula-type A. After two days of birth, and she has a surgical intervention, but, it was unsuccessful because the gut of stomach was not developed enough or it was very short to connect. Then, the doctors have installed a gastric catheter for feeding baby for 3 to 4 months and then to treat or surgical intervention this again. My question is, is this any complicated situation and how standards treat it of medicine? Is it possible to have another anomaly with other organs or bodies?

Do you have a question on Esophageal Atresia or Gastrostomy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

MBBS., DCH
Child Health Paediatrics

Generally, for esophageal atresia, two to three procedures (in parts) are done for correcting the anomaly because it is almost impossible to stretch the tube so far as to reach the stomach. As far as I know, we put in a gastrostomy tube wherein food is directly poured into the stomach via a tube.

Theoretically speaking if we find such an anomaly, it is essential to check for other physical anomalies in the vital organs like brain, heart, lungs, kidney, stomach, liver, etc. Generally, in such cases with proper intervention at the appropriate time, there should not be any issues.

Also Read Answers From: Esophageal Atresia Gastrostomy

Ask a Doctor Now