Q. Can you predict the survival of my father who is having spontaneous brain stem bleeding?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 11, 2022

My father, who is 61 years old, complained of an episode of vomiting followed by unresponsiveness and decreased movement. As per summary, there is spontaneous brain stem bleeding with obstructive hydrocephalus, that is, post-EVD. I want to know about his survival risk. I am waiting for a positive response. Kindly help.

#

Your father has right basal ganglia bleeding with intraventricular extension - EVD (external ventricular drain) in situ. Such patients have very slow recovery (after stabilization), which may take weeks to months. But, the most important thing required is good nursing care. It includes Ryles tube or PEG feed (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy), Foleys catheter care, tracheostomy care, back care (use of air mattress or water bed), and regular physiotherapy. The most common cause of deterioration in such patients is secondary infection, and morbidity is more in such patients. No one can predict the survival of such patients.

|