Esophageal Disorders

Can H. pylori infection make it difficult to swallow solid food?

Query: Hi frm past few months i hve a feeling of heaviness in my chest and throat few minutes after eating like food is stuck there. Consulted a gastroenterologist and undergone an endoscopy and i came out with h pylori infection. I am on 2 weeks medicine which includes rabeprazole, Amoxicillin , saccharom...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, I welcome you to icliniq. Well the symptoms you mention seems to be due to esophageal (food pipe) problem. The H pylori infection however infect stomach and usually cause acid related symptoms like acidity and pain but all confined to stomach area not esophageal area. So it is unlikely that ...  Read Full »

Are throat and sternal pain while swallowing indicate esophageal cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I have intermittent slight pain while swallowing and also have slight sternum pain. What are the chances of esophageal cancer?  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. My question now is not about pain but about the difficulty of swallowing. Do you swallow solid food easily or liquid food? Or no difference? Do you have reflux in the form of a burning sensation in your chest or your stomach? Do you have a bitter taste in your throa...  Read Full »

Can narrowing of the esophagus cause minty feeling in your nose and throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having a menthol or minty feeling in my nose and throat when I breathe for more than a year. I have been placing on Gaviscon and Nexium (40 mg) for more than a year, but the feeling persists. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have been given a treatment considering gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). However, GERD's predominant symptoms are acid reflux and heartburn, but I do not see that you mention any of those. The fruity smell in the breath can be due to undigested ...  Read Full »

What causes the feeling of something stuck in the throat and metallic taste?

Query: Good Afternoon, I have few symptoms for a month like sour or metallic tongue usually when I eat some food. I feel like I have something stack in my throat and I don't feel like eating anything. I feel short of breath however, some relief if I burp, i also have to clear phlegm from my throat all ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello dear, I welcome you to icliniq. It seems there is problem within your food pipe. Acid reflux, regurgitation of food, choking and freqenut salivation and sometime vomiting are all symotoms related to food pipe (esophagus). Metallic taste of tongue, food stuck and diffculty in swallowing are j...  Read Full »

Why am I getting chest pain while having food?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having chest pain or esophagus pain while having food for the last two days. The pain is repeated for every 5 to 10 minutes. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes of chest pain. Pain while eating food is related to esophageal disorders like esophagitis, esophageal erosions, gastroesophageal reflux disease, esophageal spasm or peptic ulcer disease. The serious causes of chest pain like heart related problem...  Read Full »

Manometry shows weakness halfway down the esophagus. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had dysphagia for a few months. My endoscopy and barium swallow had been normal. The manometry showed weakness halfway down the esophagus. The pH test for 24 hours showed GERD. I tried eating a burger, and every bite of it got stuck. After that, I had a hoarse voice for a whi...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The manometry and pH (potential of hydrogen) tests are not normal. The pH shows a gastroesophageal reflux and the manometry shows some weakness in the mid esophagus. You need to ...  Read Full »

Why am I having dysphagia only with solid foods?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had dysphagia for six months. I have been taking Omeprazole for three months. However, I have been going for tests including blood tests, endoscopy and barium swallow and all are completely normal. It is only with solid foods and with every meal it is worse the worst ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepthi Maringanti

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query.  You are suffering from reflux which probably was not very prominent. This condition is called a silent reflux.  Because of this silent reflux, the esophagus undergoes spasm as soon as you eat any solid foods.This condition is...  Read Full »

Barium solution has caused a blockage in my mother's stomach. How serious is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother started having internal bleeding two weeks back due to Pradaxa, which she was prescribed three weeks ago. In search of this internal bleed, my mother was asked to drink a gallon of bowel flushing solution. She drank two-thirds of the solution, but was told that she had not ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the details given by you, the barium was unable to reach her stomach. So, most likely her condition is called achalasia cardia. Achalasia is a serious condition that affects your esophagus. The lower esophageal sphincter is a valve that closes off the esophag...  Read Full »