Q. I have a minty feeling in my nose and throat when I breathe for past one year. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I have been having a menthol or minty feeling in my nose and throat when I breathe for more than a year. I have been placing on Gaviscon and Nexium (40 mg) for more than a year, but the feeling persists. Please help me.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

It seems that you have been given a treatment considering gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). However, GERD's predominant symptoms are acid reflux and heartburn, but I do not see that you mention any of those. The fruity smell in the breath can be due to undigested food in the middle of the food pipe (esophagus). It can be in some narrowing of the esophagus secondary to a structural problem. It requires some investigation called barium swallow study. The other common possibility is given your symptoms, and no pain, or heartburn, is esophageal diverticulum. Which is an outpouching of the food pipe, and this again can be diagnosed with a barium swallow. So I suggest you get this done and follow-up with me with reports.

Best Regards.

Zenker's diverticulum.
Esophageal motility disorder such as achalasia.

|