Eswl

How can kidney stones be detected?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old, fairly healthy female. I have been suffering from kidney stones since the age of 15. Mostly the stones would go away on their own without causing any pain. But in the last seven to eight months, I had been suffering from recurrent UTIs and mild pain in the kidney. Aro...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrologist, Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you have got stone problem so early and since you are a recurrent kidney stone former, you need a thorough evaluation to prevent further stone episodes. You should collect the stone you pass in urine and do FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared) spectroscopy analysis ...  Read Full »

Is it true that the size of stone increases after ESWL?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my ESWL done 14 days ago. I was not completely sedated and felt some pain so I was shaking a bit. The day after ESWL, I started feeling severe pain in kidney, irritation and burning in stomach. Pain was dealt with but burning in stomach continued and I was constipated too. Due to...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) the stone fragments need to be flushed out by the kidney. So, you need to have lots of fluids.¬†Adding a painkiller and an alpha blocker to relax your ureters will help clear the fragments. Pain can occur after ESWL due to...  Read Full »