Q. I had ESWL (extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy) done for prostatitis. Will I still be able to have kids?

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Can extracorporeal shockwave therapy damage your testis? I have undergone five sessions of shock therapy at the perineal area, done by a urologist as he suspected me to have chronic prostatitis.

Please help.

#

If meticulously done, extracorporeal shock wave therapy does not cause any damage to testes. Can you please tell me what kind of damage to testes are you talking about?

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for your concern.

I have severe anxiety after the treatment course. I am scared that the shockwave could have affected my testis size and might reduce my testosterone level.

Kindly help.

#

It is never like that so you can relax. If you want to relieve your anxiety with evidence, you can get your semen analysis and serum total testosterone level done.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for the reply.

I have tested my testosterone level two weeks before the treatment was done. It was at 20 nmol/L.

My prostate was normal before the treatment, and the urologist suspected mild prostatitis.

So can I assume that the shockwave treatment does not cause further damage to my prostate and testis?

#

1) Chronic prostatitis is correlated with lower testosterone levels. So ESWL (extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy), which is given to treat prostatitis indirectly, may increase testosterone levels.

2) Chronic prostatitis is also correlated with a low IIEF score (International index of erectile function).

3) ESWL as therapy for prostatitis improves IIEF score significantly, so indirectly, it improves your sexual life.

4) ESWL has no significant effect in decreasing testosterone levels, so rest assured if your testosterone level decreases in the future, it is not because of ESWL.

Hope I am able to clear you in a better way.

Thanks and regards.

Thank you for your explanation.

I went to the doctor due to the increased frequency of urination and unable to hold urine leading to urinary continence. As well as maintaining erection issues. At first, the prostate was checked using rectal examination using finger and ultrasound, and it came out to be normal. My PSA was slightly high at 2.7 ng/mL. My urine flow meter is average at 375 ml at 17.7 ml/s.

The doctor proceeded with scope to examine my urethra, bladder, and prostate. He found very mild inflammation of the bladder and prostate. The doctor prescribed bladder control medication, Mirabegron, and some antibiotics.

He also suggested taking five ESWL treatments in the perineal area twice a week.

I was also affected by a very severe fungal infection in my penis a week after the treatment. It took about two weeks to recover fully.

It affected my relationship greatly. Plus, this anxiety caused me great despair.

Kindly help.

#

ESWL is a treatment commodity generally used for cases of prostatitis not responding to conventional treatment. So, it is very difficult to comment on overdoing the treatment in your case.

But rest assured, it will not have any effect on the testes as shock waves are given to the prostate and not to the testes. Side effects of the treatment are temporary.

You should relieve yourself psychologically, as to have a good sexual life, mental well-being is of utmost importance.

Thanks and regards.

|