Q. Is it true that the size of stone increases after ESWL?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had my ESWL done 14 days ago. I was not completely sedated and felt some pain so I was shaking a bit. The day after ESWL, I started feeling severe pain in kidney, irritation and burning in stomach. Pain was dealt with but burning in stomach continued and I was constipated too. Due to the above reasons I got admitted in a Gastro hospital for 4 days. They told me it was a case of gastritis. When my condition got better, I was discharged. I visited my urologist and he suggested for inserting stent as I had blockage. He suggested it for pain relief and easy passage of stones, so I had it inserted. I feel very little pain now after stent. But, the problem is that I am still constipated and mild burning in stomach. Is this a kind of complication after ESWL? I had ESWL for a 10 mm stone which was broken into fragments. But, after that I had an ultrasound and was diagnosed with an 11 mm stone which was never present before. When I asked my urologist about it, he said that it is not a complete stone but fragments looking enlarged. Is it true?

#

• Post ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) the stone fragments need to be flushed out by the kidney. So, you need to have lots of fluids. Adding a painkiller and an alpha blocker to relax your ureters will help clear the fragments.
  • Pain can occur after ESWL due to fragments passing down. Pain is on flank and radiates to groin.
  • If pain is in upper or central abdomen it may be due to gastritis, which may due to painkillers.
  • Stone size increases slightly after ESWL because there is cracking up of stone but the fragments are still together due to lack of space. So, initially size may appear larger.
  • However, usually the radiologist sees upper end of stent in kidney and mistakes it for a stone. So, an x-ray is best post ESWL.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|