Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

What could be the reason for my ears to look different after T tube insertion?

Query: Hi doctor, I had to correct Eustachian tube dysfunction. Ears pop after yawing, drinking, and swallowing. Then I have to pop my ears by pinching my nose and ears throughout the day. I just had my third operation on my ears. This time I have had T tubes inserted. I have made the mistake of looking ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the two pictures are different (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). I think that the first picture shows that the tube is not fixed well. It would help if you revisited your surgeon. Continue your medical treatment and keep your hands away from...  Read Full »

Does my cold along with ear pain and ear itching suggest a sinus problem?

Query: Hi,I have had a cold for the past 20 days. Along with it, I have left ear pain, ear fullness, and an itching sensation. If I hear a loud sound, I feel like itching in my left ear. While swallowing, I hear a bubble-popping sound in my ear. My ENT doctor said I have a sinus problem. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these symptoms are common with flu infections. The persistence of these symptoms for long periods may point to eustachian tube dysfunction or the collection of fluids behind the eardrum. My suggestions for you- 1. A mucolytic anti-inflammatory drug such as α-Chymotr...  Read Full »

Is a stinging sensation behind the jaw associated with eustachian tube disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,Usually, I do not have any problems with my jaw; but sometimes, after a long day without talking; I can get a stinging sensation behind the jaw while chewing. It stops immediately if i stop eating, and then it sometimes does not come back for weeks. How can this be? Sometimes, if I use ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description that you provide suggests that this is indeed coming from your temporomandibular joint, especially if you related this to chewing and, as you point out in the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Please answer the following...  Read Full »

What is the cause of an ear block after being exposed to the cold wind?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female who lives in a cold country. For the past week, I have had blocked ears. It all started last Saturday when suddenly the right ear became blocked, and I tried all methods it did not work and the next onwards the left ear also blocked. Sometimes I feel when I inhale, the r...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay B K

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Did your ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor say whether your eardrums were normal or congested? Was there any perforation? Do you have ear pain also, or do you just have a blocking sensation? What you are experiencing is eustachian tube ...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain and numbness in the olfactory region with a weak sense of smell and taste?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had numbness and throbbing pain around my olfactory region with a weak sense of smell and taste for the past nine months. I consulted an ENT. He did an endoscopy and said that everything was normal. There is no inflammation or mucosa thickening. He added that it could be becaus...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for describing your medical history in detail. It is clear from your symptoms that you were suffering from chronic rhinosinusitis with eustachian tube dysfunction, and you responded well to nasal steroid rinses. In the case of chronic rhinosinusitis wit...  Read Full »

I have chronic sinusitis and eustachian tube dysfunction. How to treat it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old female and had eustachian tube dysfunction and chronic sinusitis (pressure on either side of my nose, congestion, brain fog, and headaches) for about eight months. I had allergy testing done which revealed allergies to mold and a few trees. I also had a CT scan which r...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per all your history and reports, it seems to be chronic rhinosinusitis with a deviated nasal septum to the left (attachments removed to protect patient's identity). As your symptoms are persistent in spite of all the medication, I feel surgery is the treatmen...  Read Full »

Why is one of my ears blocked even after taking medications for my double ear infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a double ear infection and took a course of antibiotics. One ear remains blocked still. Is there anything else I can do? I use Flonase daily.   Read Full »

Dr. Ranjit Peter

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the details that you have shared, the possibility of eustachian tube dysfunction or obstruction needs to be ruled out. Your current medications suggest that you have allergic airways as well as acid reflux. Both these clinical conditions can contribute to yo...  Read Full »

I have chronic sinusitis without polyps. Will my sense of smell eventually return or improve?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis without polyps two years back. Then, I had congestion, pain, throbbing, postnasal drip, weak sense of smell and taste, dizziness, cough, tinnitus in my left ear, and eustachian tube dysfunction. My ENT (ear, nose, and throat specialist) gave me a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asiya Zaidi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good to know that your symptoms have resolved. Most likely, you had an acute attack of sinusitis which has resolved now. I would advise you two things about your sense of smell. 1. Smell training videos can be found online. 2. Omega 3,6,9 tablets (especiall...  Read Full »

Can I get my sense of smell back after sinusitis, or will it be permanently damaged?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had symptoms of chronic sinusitis without polyps for 24 months now. My ENT said I had mild to moderate sinusitis. My symptoms were congestion, eustachian tube dysfunction, a weak sense of smell, postnasal drip, and severe pain. I have been using Budesonide rinses twice daily, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjit Peter

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your clinical history and response to therapy, we can expect some improvement in the sense of smell. The fact that there is some sense of smell is favorable. However, it would be beneficial to know the status of your sinuses in terms of persi...  Read Full »

What causes blocked eustachian tubes in adults?

Query: Hello doctor,My ear has been ringing on and off for three days. What can I do?  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common treatable entity we come across. You have developed what we call eustachian tube catarrh, which has probably developed secondary to nasal inflammation. The eustachian tube ventilates th...  Read Full »