Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

What should I do to prevent a buzzing sound in my ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting a buzzing sound in my ears for the past few days. I want a reading of the enclosed x-ray. Currently, I am on Exforge for mild hypertension.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Bilateral maxillary sinuses appear hazy with suspected fluid level or polyps, more likely to be polyps. Mild deviation of the septum with decreased airway in the left side of t...  Read Full »

Will a slight whistle sound in the ears go on its own?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last ten days, I hear a slight whistle noise in my ears, which becomes loud when I sit in my room, and there are no outside loud noises. I suffered from a common cold and fever 12-13 days back and felt heaviness and itching in the right ear after cold ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms seem to be due to eustachian tube dysfunction (aggravated after cold). You start taking an oral and nasal decongestant for a week. Start steroid nasal spray for two weeks. Do steam inhalation and Valsalva exercise. If your symptoms persist, please meet...  Read Full »

Why is my hearing in the left ear affected?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past few days, I am not able to hear properly through my left ear and it is almost down to 50%. I have consulted an ENT specialist and they suggested for a CT scan. Everything is fine in the scan. Sugar and BP levels are normal and they injected some steroids for two days. Still, ...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern and you have developed sudden hearing loss in your left ear for the last few days. As you are neither hypertensive nor diabetic, the possibilities are acute labyrinthitis, eustachian tube dysfunction and idiopathic. Now, you have to consult your ...  Read Full »

Why is my outer ear burning since my sister yelled into my ear?

Query: Hi just recently, my sister was yelling and she yelled into my ear as I was passing. I have been feeling slight vacuum and burning of outer ear since then. Is this permanent hearing loss? Please help. This is my left ear and the hearing was really good and I took online hearing test and it says no h...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, I would like to know some detailed information : 1. when the incident of your sister yelling in your ear happened? 2. After how much time of incident, you started to feel symptoms? 3. what you exactly feeling in the left ear? 4. the feeling of vacuum & burning in outer ear is persist...  Read Full »

Is a burst of pain in one ear while hiccups or yawn serious?

Query: currently have a pretty significant burst of pain in my left ear when i hiccup and when I have a big yawn. There is very very slight overall pain in the left ear but I only notice it when I really think about it. A month and a half back, I ruptured my left eardrum. I was tubing in a lake, and the t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, As per your history, you may be having referred pain from the gums or due to increase pressure in the Eustachian tube. Ear pain are really very excruciating pain. For now you don’t have to worry You can take Tab paracetamol 500mg ibuprofen 400 mg 1 Tab whenever you are feeling di...  Read Full »

Can Eustachian tube catarrh result in earaches and hearing loss?

Query: I have Eustachian tube catarrh. At first I only had symptoms of tinnitus. Now after I pinched my nose and blew air through it quite aggressively for a few times, one of my ears ache and I have hearing loss. Why is it? What can I do about it? Please answer thank you!  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello sir, I would like to briefly explained about your condition, as Eustachian tube is the connecting tube between nasopharynx(back side inside the nose) and middle ear. Any dysfunction in the Eustachian tube can lead to hearing loss, fullness of ear,tinnitus. 1) As you tried to blow your nose fo...  Read Full »

I get rhythmic noise in ear and fullness which goes away on forceful breathing. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been hearing a wind like rhythmic noise in my right ear. It also makes my ears feel full. When breathing forcefully it might go away for some time but it comes back again.  Read Full »

Dr. Rohan S. Navelkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A ringing sound or wind-like sound in the ear lasting for more than five minutes is called tinnitus. If less than five minutes, it is not significant. This particular sound you are describing can be caused due to dysfunctional eustachian tube, i.e. the tube connectin...  Read Full »

Can eustachian tube blockage be diagnosed using a sinus x-ray?

Query: Hello I have a couple of questions first can a sinus X-ray show if your Eustachian tube are closed or not. Or do the ent have to go up your nose to find out. I had a sinus infection and nasal drip my ears are clogged I went to my doctor he said I had fluid and an ear infection and sent me to a ent a...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi! Before I explain and answer your questions, I will take a little of your time to explain what has probably happend in your case. The eustachian tube basically ventilates the nose and the ear. In a situation where it does not function, a negative pressure develops in the side of the ear leading...  Read Full »

How to treat chronic ear pain and blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an ear infection for about two years, but now my ears hurt very badly and feel like they are closing up. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iciniq.com. The reason for a chronic ear infection can be due to two reasons. 1. There is an abnormal permanent defect in your eardrum (such a hole which has not closed up due to the normal healing process) leading to recurrent ear infection and discharge. In some cases, superadded...  Read Full »

I have semicircular canal dehiscence and patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. Can I fly?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two inner ear conditions. Both are somewhat rare: Right-semicircular canal dehiscence and Left- patulous eustachian tube dysfunction. What I want to know is whether I can fly- take an airplane without getting ill and sustain further inner damage?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Super semicircular canal dehiscence is a rare inner ear condition. In this condition there will be giddiness and imbalance when exposed to loud noise and imbalance, echoing of once own voice, etc. This condition usually does not get worsened by change in environmenta...  Read Full »