Q. What are the causes for ear pain and ear itching along with cold?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have had a cold for the past 20 days. Along with it, I have left ear pain, ear fullness, and an itching sensation. If I hear a loud sound, I feel like itching in my left ear. While swallowing, I hear a bubble-popping sound in my ear. My ENT doctor said I have a sinus problem. Please help.

#

All these symptoms are common with flu infections. The persistence of these symptoms for long periods may point to eustachian tube dysfunction or the collection of fluids behind the eardrum.

My suggestions for you-

1. A mucolytic anti-inflammatory drug such as α-Chymotrypsin.

2. Nasal vasoconstrictive drops to be taken while lying down on your back.

3. Chewing gum is useful to open the occluded eustachian tubes and to drain secretions from behind the eardrum.

4. You may add an oral antihistamine once daily if the itching is severe.

Can I take any antibiotics for now?

#

I understand your concern.

If you still feel ear pain, I suggest you take an antibiotic like Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid for a week.

If there is no pain, do not take any antibiotics. Also, the nasal decongestant drops must be used only for five days.

|