Fasciculation

What could be the reason for fasciculations in the hand with lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, The symptoms I have been experiencing for the past five months worry me a lot, so I would like to get your opinion on the subject. Here is the chronology of my symptoms: Seven months back, I had a pressure in my left chest that makes me go to the emergency room. There is nothing on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned, all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), including MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain, MRI of the spine, NCV (nerve conduction velocity), and EMG (electromyography) has been normal. And your doctors have not foun...  Read Full »

Is an elevated level of dsDNA antibody a risk factor for lupus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have nerve pain, fasciculations and headaches. I am currently on Lisinopril 20, Amlodipine 5, Paxil 20 and Remeron 15. My blood report shows that I have dsDNA antibody.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anti-dsDNA positivity implies that it is probably lupus. I suppose you have positive ANA (Antinuclear antibody). Now, I need the following answers: 1. I need a detailed history of your symptoms. 2. Do you have any oral ulcers? 3. Do you have any photosensitive rash...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my persistent twitches all over the body?

Query: Hello doctor, About one month ago, I started to get twitches all over my body. Everywhere from my toes and fingers to backs of my thighs, neck, and torso. They feel like small little zings and are present all day long. I have no idea why the twitching is happening. Things I have considered, I have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some further details about your symptoms: Are these twitches visible by eyes? Or these only felt by you without being seen by eyes? Have you noticed what triggers these twitches? Like when being more anxious, empty stomach, cold weather, smoki...  Read Full »

Are my muscle fasciculations pointing towards ALS?

Query: Hello doctor,I have some symptoms that worry me a lot. I have been having muscle fasciculations all over my body (hands, arms, feet, legs, chest wall, glutes, knees, and cheek), every day, multiple times, for about half a year. Recently, (for about two weeks) they have worsened and I twitch almost c...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Besides, at your age, this diagnosis would be exceptional. I agree with your doctor that benign fasciculation syndrome seems to be th...  Read Full »

Is small fiber neuropathy a concerning issue even if all reports are normal?

Query: Hi doctor, About 10 months ago after a workout, I had pins and needles on the left side of my body. After months of MRIs and EMGs, I got a skin biopsy that showed you gave small fiber neuropathy. Before I knew this, I got a deep tissue massage and started getting fasciculations. They had calmed dow...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have studied your data. 10 months ago, I have a sudden onset of tingling on the left side after workout but with normal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain and spine which means the stroke is less likely. Later you noted random twisting of muscles (fasciculatio...  Read Full »

Do widespread muscle twitching indicates ALS?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. For the past seven months, I have had widespread muscle twitching. The most annoying ones occur in my eyelids. I am diagnosed with anxiety and OCD, and I took Lexapro for 90 days. A couple of days ago, I was instructed by my doctor to stop the Lexapro due to...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know how it started and progressed in detail. How it was with the said medicine? Please answer a few more questions. Is there any weakness of hands or leg or anywhere? Is there any abnormal sensation or loss of sensation? Is there any loss of muscle ma...  Read Full »

Is EMG test reliable in detecting ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, I was smoking weed for almost six years daily. Last July, I stopped, and then I started to have panic attacks with heart palpitation. I went to a cardiologist and everything was fine. But since then I became so anxious and I was aware of everything going on in my body. After that, I s...  Read Full »

Dr. Upendra K Shah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the problem you are facing, it is partly due to anxiety and partly due to nerve and muscle hyperactivity. Coming to your specific questions: Yes, fasciculations and weakness in ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) come together, actually, weakness comes f...  Read Full »

I have body fasciculations with no numbness and tingling. Is it ALS?

Query: Hello doctor, Six months ago, following a mild concussion, I started to have symptoms that were vaguely consistent with bilateral cervical radiculopathy. The cervical MRI showed severe stenosis and disc herniation at the C6-7 level going right and C5-6 going left. The worst symptoms were numbness...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is highly unlikely that the EMGs (electromyography) are clean in the presence of muscle wasting and fasciculations. I believe the symptoms and signs you are experiencing are due to cervical stenosis and not due to ALS. A C6-7 disc herniation can cause all the sympto...  Read Full »

What do recurrent muscular fasiculation indicate, ALS or MND?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. I have had muscle twitches all around my body but primarily in my legs for three months. I had the same twitches last year which lasted about a month. The twitches seemed to subside shortly after I had an EMG done as I was petrified and convinced that it could...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and events. I wish to know more about muscle twisting. Which parts of the body are affected? Are those twisting and painful? Is there any stiffness in limbs? Is your illness affecting your activities of daily living or occupation?  Read Full »

Apart from ALS, which other conditions cause muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. For the last three days, I have noticed continuous twitches on the thenar aspect of my right palm. Today, I searched on the internet and it showed it could be ALS. I am worried. Also, I noticed that my right thenar prominence is a little less than the left. I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think this to be ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). ALS will have little more extensive twitches and at times they are visible on the muscle surface and a number of muscles having the flaccid type of weakness. Fasciculation only for three days without any weak...  Read Full »