Q. Is there any treatment for a boy who sounds like a girl?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I am an 18 year old male. I have a girl-like voice since my childhood. I cannot speak in public loudly. The louder I speak, the more girl-like and thin the voice becomes. It affects my confidence levels. I cannot go to the university because of my voice. Girls make fun of me. I sound like a girl on the phone as well. Please help me. is there any treatment like surgery? Is this is because of my vocal cords or low testosterone level?

#

• Having a female voice could be due to inadequate cracking (in layman terms). In males, during puberty, the vocal cord enlarges and the larynx descends to give rise to a low-pitched male voice. However, in some, it does not happen.
  • We need to hear your voice and do a complete physical examination. We need to rule out any other condition affecting you. If you could record the voice and send it to us we can make a better assessment.
  • The surgical option available to change the voice is thyroplasty surgeries. These are safe and can help you attain a male voice.
  • Non-surgical options like voice and speech therapy at the clinic of a trained speech therapist can also work wonders for many patients. They advise on vocal hygiene, vocal maintenance, how to avoid straining your vocal cords and how to overcome your problem as well.
  • Let us know your progress. There is nothing to worry or feel low. Please progress with your studies and enroll yourself in a university. Yours is not the age to worry and feel inferior. By not going to university and feeling bad about the voice, you are succumbing to the problem and not fighting it.

We are there to help you find a way to rectify the problem, but until then do not worry and fret. Looking forward to helping you overcome the problem.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|