Q. My father has prolonged fever with high WBC count. Could it be TB?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2018

My father is getting fever continuously for the last 10-15 days. There is no infection detected in any test, but he has high TLC (WBC count). What could be the probable cause? Could it be TB?

#

• What is your father's age? I presume it to be around 55. Is he a diabetic?
  • Continuous fever for 15 days with high blood counts more precisely differential counts warranty further and detailed evaluation to rule out hematological malignancies.
  • Do not get frightened by the term malignancy, but yes, it is a possibility.
  • TB is another possibility if he has a constant cough with sputum production and weight loss.
  • When no source of infection or fever is found even after thorough investigations, we call it as fever of unknown origin. At this age, it is always required to rule out malignancy.
  • Does he have any history of abdominal pain or problem with urination?

Revert with the answers to the above questions to a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|