Q. My father, who had kidney transplant, gets fever once in every 15 days now. Why?

Dr. Talal Hussain

My father had a kidney transplant for three years. His health condition was good until last year, but for the past seven months, he started getting a fever for every 15 days. They have taken his full body tests twice in these six months, and everything seems to be fine, but the fever is continuing for every 15 to 20 days. Please help us how to know the reason and rectify it?

#

Kidney transplant patients are one medication that weakens the immune system of the body. This increased the risk of catching any infection. Plus there is a chance of reduction in white cell count due to the same medication. That is why I suggest you do the following.

1) Blood complete picture, this will show if you have low or high white cell count and might also give an idea to the type of infection like bacterial or viral.

2) Blood or urine culture to identify quickly any possible infections.

3) Chest X-ray to see if there is any chance of infection.

4) Drug level test is to check if the blood as the required amount of kidney transplant medications. If it is more, they may require a reduction in dose.

5) Doctors checkup will help identify any places where infection could have started like chest abdomen throat etc. I hope this answers the question. In case you have any further questions then feel free to contact in writing.

|