Q. My father, who had kidney transplant, gets fever once in every 15 days now. Why?

Dr. Talal Hussain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My father had a kidney transplant for three years. His health condition was good until last year, but for the past seven months, he started getting a fever for every 15 days. They have taken his full body tests twice in these six months, and everything seems to be fine, but the fever is continuing for every 15 to 20 days. Please help us how to know the reason and rectify it?

Do you have a question on Fever or Kidney Transplant?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Talal Hussain

M.B.B.S., MD INTERNAL MEDICINE
Internal Medicine

Kidney transplant patients are one medication that weakens the immune system of the body. This increased the risk of catching any infection. Plus there is a chance of reduction in white cell count due to the same medication. That is why I suggest you do the following.

1) Blood complete picture, this will show if you have low or high white cell count and might also give an idea to the type of infection like bacterial or viral.

2) Blood or urine culture to identify quickly any possible infections.

3) Chest X-ray to see if there is any chance of infection.

4) Drug level test is to check if the blood as the required amount of kidney transplant medications. If it is more, they may require a reduction in dose.

5) Doctors checkup will help identify any places where infection could have started like chest abdomen throat etc. I hope this answers the question. In case you have any further questions then feel free to contact in writing.

Also Read Answers From: Fever Kidney Transplant

Kindly suggest a diet chart for a kidney transplanted patient
Query: Hi doctor, Four years before I had a kidney transplant. My weight is 79 kg and height is 164 cm. My current medication is immunosuppressant. Please explain me the diet chart.  Read Full »
Dr. Swapan Banerjee
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am initially guiding you, but I always advise you to take a personalized diet plan. You need more fiber rich foods like brown rice, brown breads, all multigrains, whole skins vegetables and fruits. You should add more quality protein like egg white, sweet water fish, bu...  Read Full »

Chikungunya Fever
Article Overview: In rapidly urbanizing cities, it has become a regular phenomenon to have a post monsoon surge of fever cases. Chikungunya is also one among them.  Read Article »
Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
General Medicine Physician

Fever has many causes viral being one of them. Viral fever is very common during the change of seasons. Different viruses like influenza virus, flavivirus, etc., can cause febrile illnesses. The viral infection can be acquired either through direct contact with the patient (droplet infecti ...  Read Article »

Is it possible to have another kidney transplant if creatinine is increasing?
Query: Hello doctor, My elder brother, aged 41 years had a kidney transplant 11 years back. The donor was his father whose present age is approximately 68 years, but now after 11 years, his creatinine is increasing (3.3). We are confused about what to do. The doctor has increased his dose of medicine. Cur...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Creatinine level mentioned 3.3 is suggestive of kidney infection. So, yes renal function deterioration is present. Renal transplantation can lead to rejection and risk to benefit ratio has to be watched before taking any decision regarding transplantation. Secondly, ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now