Q. Which medicine should we give for cough in a kidney transplant patient?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2019

My father is a kidney transplant patient. He had his transplant a year ago. Right now he is having wet cough and cold. It started yesterday. He is taking Pangraf 1.5 mg, Cellcept 500 mg, Septran and Wysolone daily. Which medicines should we give him for cough and cold?

#

First of all, most of the cough and common cold are upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) issues, which are self-limiting and respond without antibiotics. But since he is on immunosupressants, he would be considered for antibiotics if he develops any high grade fever or severe coughing.

For URTI, I advise to take an antibiotic like Azithromycin only in case he has persisting fever. Otherwise in most cases of URTI, it is due to viral infection and it gets better within 5 days.

He can take an antiallergic like Levocetirizine which is available as OTC (over-the-counter) drug. He should do warm saline gargles at least 3-4 times a day and do steam inhalation.

He should also take Paracetamol on as or when required basis for fever and body pains.Please share my opinion with your doctor, before acting upon it.

|