Q. Which medicine should we give for cough in a kidney transplant patient?

Published on Feb 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2019

My father is a kidney transplant patient. He had his transplant a year ago. Right now he is having wet cough and cold. It started yesterday. He is taking Pangraf 1.5 mg, Cellcept 500 mg, Septran and Wysolone daily. Which medicines should we give him for cough and cold?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

First of all, most of the cough and common cold are upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) issues, which are self-limiting and respond without antibiotics. But since he is on immunosupressants, he would be considered for antibiotics if he develops any high grade fever or severe coughing.

For URTI, I advise to take an antibiotic like Azithromycin only in case he has persisting fever. Otherwise in most cases of URTI, it is due to viral infection and it gets better within 5 days.

He can take an antiallergic like Levocetirizine which is available as OTC (over-the-counter) drug. He should do warm saline gargles at least 3-4 times a day and do steam inhalation.

He should also take Paracetamol on as or when required basis for fever and body pains.Please share my opinion with your doctor, before acting upon it.

| 

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now