Q. Is Foracort safe in a patient who is already on medication for Alzheimer's and heart problem?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2020

My mother is 76 years old and has Alzheimer's for the last five years along with ischemic heart disease, hypothyroidism, and type 2 diabetes. Recently, she developed COPD. The doctor recommended Foracort 400 inhaler twice a day and Foracort 0.5 mg respules through nebulizer once a day along with Deriphyllin retard 300 at night. Is it safe to use the above three medicines considering that she experiences muscle spasms in the rib area from time to time?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for your question. I can understand your concern.

May I know her Alzheimer’s and IHD drugs. And, better not to take Foracort (Budesonide and Formoterol) three times a day. I will be happy to help you further.

Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.

| 

For Alzheimer's, she takes one Admenta 10 mg tablet at night. She also takes Syndopa plus one tablet thrice daily and Qutan 25 one tablet twice daily along with Rejunex CD3 one tablet after lunch. All the above four medicines are prescribed by the Neurology Doctor.

For the heart condition, she takes Nicostar 10 one tablet twice daily, Clopitab 75 one tablet after lunch, and Telma 40 one tablet after breakfast. Your valuable suggestions will be most helpful. Wish you a good day ahead.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

#

Thanks for your follow up question on icliniq.

Better to use Foracort 200 inhaler instead of 400. And do not use Foracort nebulization because this will not give any additional benefit as she already takes Foracort inhaler.

Better to give her Duolin nebulization two to three times a day (Ipratropium Bromide and Levosalbutamol) along with Foracort 200 inhaler twice daily.

I hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

| 

Does rapidly declining memory mean Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is experiencing rapidly declining memory and cognitive function. He was taken to the hospital a year back due to confusion and memory loss and was treated for diabetic ketoacidosis and had a quadruple bypass performed. They also did various scans and MRIs and found nothing t...  Read Full »

Is there any possible cure for asthmatic patient?

Query: Hi, My mother is an asthmatic patient. She has been suffering from this disease since 30 years. Her level of asthma is not like others. She is comfortable to breath in normal conditions easily.But when the weather changes or tends to be at peak, she falls off due to it. What I mean is, she started...  Read Full »

Will Hydromorphone mask the recovery of an elderly patient with COPD?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient is 89 years old and unable to take medications orally. Patient has COPD (with a pacemaker), CCF, had two TIA's a few years ago and is type 2 diabetic, has delirium, and is in pain. Patient is on iv antibiotics, and diuretic. 1) Is it typical not to use Hydromorphone (or alter...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now