Formula Feeding

What to do if you cannot produce breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am not getting adequate breast milk. I am taking Lactogag capsules. Even after taking it, I am not able to get enough milk. I had delivery a month back. But still, I do not have milk. Kindly suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, I need to know the age of your baby, birth weight, and current weight. Please mention the amount of milk expelled by you every day. Kindly provide these details to guide you further.   Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: Hi doctor,My one-month-old daughter usually eats around the clock but still has a lot of gas. The past several days, she eats only 0.5 to 1 or 2 ounces at a time while she was typically eating 3 to 3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops, and if she usually has diarrhea around 1 to 2 am. She also st...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose watery stools, excessive crying at night can all be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to stop breastmilk and start formula milk for a 3-month-old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is three months old. He had rashes and loose motion before a month. We did a stool test of pH and reducing substance. The result showed a positive result for reducing substance. The doctor advised me to stop giving mother's milk and start giving Isomil formula. My baby did not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not stopped breastfeeding and so your baby's weight gain is good. A baby of three months passes stool after every feed. If you feed ten times, then he may pass stool ten times. Regarding the color of the stool, green, yellow, golden brown are the normal sha...  Read Full »

My baby is having loose motion from the third day of his birth. Can I give cow's milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 12 days old. He is having loose motions from the third day of birth. I gave him cow's milk for the first and the second day and he was fine. When I started breastfeeding him on day 3, he started having loose motions. His stools are not the same all the times; sometimes, it i...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not give cow's milk to the baby. You can either breastfeed or give him formula feed, but not cow's milk as it does not contain nutrition in the required amounts. It is normal for the children below the age of 6 months to pass stools up to 15 times a day or once ...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best formula milk for my baby.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem is not with the formula milk and it is with the way you feed the formula. Generally, gas formation is more if the baby is on bottle feed and somewhat little when baby is breastfed. The problem of gas formation is a common thing as babies tend to take in air...  Read Full »

Why is there pooping in babies right after having formula milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My little one is 7 weeks old, and the last two days, I have had difficulty feeding her to her demands. Sometimes, it happens, and I substitute with milk formula, which has happened maybe six to seven times in the past. But the last two days, I had to supplement twice a day. Since she wou...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. 1. Feeding difficulty may arise because of two reasons: a. Improper latching. b. Improper position. 2. Usually, those baby who latches correctly do not require formula milk. The mother's breast milk is sufficient. 3. Mix feeding (breast m...  Read Full »

How can I stop daytime breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 months old baby. My baby has started solids. I give her two meals and two snacks. I am planning to go back to work now. My question is how do I stop daytime breastfeeding? Should I breast pump and bottle feed her or should I start Formula?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to breast pump and store the milk rather than Formula feed. The breast milk should be stored in hygienic conditions in the fridge separately from other food items. The milk need not be heated again before consumption but the bottle in which it is kept shoul...  Read Full »

My newborn is on formula feed and spits after every feed. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a baby boy via normal delivery. My ten days old infant weighs 3.1 kg, and height is 55 cm. My baby is on formula milk. The name is S26 Gold. Everytime after feeding, he either spit or vomit the milk. We burp him always after every feeding and let him stay upright for 30 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regurgitation of feeds is a very common problem. But if the baby is bringing our entire feeds, every time after feeding, then, the baby will not gain weight and height properly. The height and weight seem to be normal at present. I presume it was the same on the ...  Read Full »

What should I do to stop loose motion in my newborn due to cow's milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 months old. He always cries and sleep very less and always demand milk as I produce less milk. I gave him cow's milk with a little bit of sugar into it. And from the last two days, he is having losse motion. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suppose you are taking a lot of tension. Milk output has a correlation with maternal emotions. Positive outlook will stimulate the release of oxytocin that enhances milk production. You need to worry less. Have a good diet and maintain good hydration. Spend more ti...  Read Full »

How to know whether enough feeding is done for a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 3 1/2 week old baby who I am formula feeding. I feed her 2 1/2 ounces about every 3 hours. She sucks the complete bottle down and is still sucking when I pull it out of her mouth. An hour after I feed her, she is very fussy. Her arms are going everywhere and her mouth is wid...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I always prefer a demand feeding as all babies are smart enough to decide for how much they want and how frequently. For the weight and age of your baby, she need about 3 ounces of milk every 3 hours, total about 700 - 725 ml in 24 hours. Fussiness after feeding and tu...  Read Full »