Formula Feeding

Is it advisable to add sugar to baby formula?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 6 weeks old. I am not able to breastfeed her properly due to pain in the breasts. I have expressed milk, but she is not taking that milk and even the formula milk. She wants direct breastfeed milk, and I tried adding some sugar in the formula milk, and she drank the milk. I als...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to use a bottle with a nipple for feeding. Also, you can add honey instead of sugar to milk. It will make it sweet. All formula feeds have more or less the same taste, so there is no use changing formulas. Please give your expressed milk with bottle feed...  Read Full »

What are the long-term effects of slow weight gain pattern in babies?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about the weight gain of my baby. She was born three years back and had weight: 3.36 kg, length 51 cm and head circumference 35 cm. We started exclusively breastfeeding. On the 30th day appointment she had weight 4 kg, length 56 cm, and head circumference 38 cm. 60th day ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The weight of your baby is slightly less. See it is not about the quantity, it is about the frequency of the feeds and the calorie content of each feed. 1. Feeding should be done every two hourly. Even at night. 2. Fortification of the milk can be done by using ...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to control loose motions in a baby.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 1 month old boy baby, his mother died during the delivery. We feed him cow's milk, but he is having loose motions. How to control the loose motions?  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is so sad to hear about his mom. First, we need to clarify whether he has diarrhea, because sometimes, increased frequency of stools due to gastrocolic reflex may be considered as diarrhea. If he has diarrhea, then we need to look at the causes, for example, infecti...  Read Full »

Is it fine to spoon feed formula milk for a three weeks old?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a newborn of three weeks old. She is not able to get breastfeed because my nipple size is smaller and thus less milk supply. And also because she is not ready to suck correctly. She was born at 37 weeks of gestation. I am feeding her formula milk through the spoon. I want to know...  Read Full »

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

General Practitioner, Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Breastfeeding is the best for your baby until six months completion. Since you are facing problems with it, you can give expressed breast milk with a spoon. Never use a bottle. You need to take extra calories while lactating drink enough fluids so that you secrete mo...  Read Full »

How can I stop daytime breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 months old baby. My baby has started solids. I give her two meals and two snacks. I am planning to go back to work now. My question is how do I stop daytime breastfeeding? Should I breast pump and bottle feed her or should I start Formula?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to breast pump and store the milk rather than Formula feed. The breast milk should be stored in hygienic conditions in the fridge separately from other food items. The milk need not be heated again before consumption but the bottle in which it is kept shoul...  Read Full »

Can incorrect mixing of Formula with room temperature water cause a problem in weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is going to be 6 months next week and weighs about 6.54 Kg, birth weight was 3.03 Kg. Is weight fine? I am giving him Formula with room temperature unboiled water. Is that a problem? Can incorrect mixing of powder with room temperature water a problem for weight gain? He did no...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Weight for age is fine. Please use filtered and clean boiled water to avoid infections. Incorrect mixing will lead to improper concentration of the product and may cause either indigestion or reduced nutritional content of the Formula. Hence, always mix in concentrat...  Read Full »

How can I make my baby have Formula milk without sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, I have 3.5 months old baby. I do not have sufficient breastmilk, hence, was giving fomula milk. Baby was not satisfied with the taste of formula milk and was never having it properly, so one day my mother added sugar to formula milk and since that day my baby is having formula milk as...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can keep reducing the sugar content of the milk slowly slowly until you reach a stage where there is no sugar in the milk. Also, you can check for your current milk output to see if even little is there. If even a little is there, please give the child breast for...  Read Full »

Why is my baby's poop dark green?

Query: Hello doctor,My baby is three and a half months now. Since he completed three months, he is more on formula milk than breastfeeding due to supply issues. He poops every alternate day. I am concerned as his poop color is dark green and at the end of the process a slight yellow poop comes. I have...  Read Full »

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The color of the poop does not matter much unless it is dark black, which is a possible sign of occult blood. Usually poops in babies on formula feed is dark green. A breastfed baby will have golden yellow poop. So, do not be worried at all. I also suggest you take ...  Read Full »

I changed my baby’s formula milk, and it led to vomiting, and diarrhoea. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I changed my four weeks old baby’s formula milk, and it caused him to vomit after feeds and he had diarrhea. Should I change it to thick formula milk because he has reflux? Is this a normal side effect?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reflux point of view, the first thing that is to be done is to keep the baby at an angle of 35 degrees to the ground level after feeding. This will reduce the chances of reflux more than any medication. The next thing to be done before feed thickening is to ...  Read Full »

Is it safe to give water along with mixed feeding to a new born?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin, a newborn baby, was born four days before, male, 51 cm and 3.1 kg. He is crying, and we think that he cannot poop. He drinks breast milk. And every time he farts he cries and, we thought he has a hard time getting it out. I would also like to ask if he is allowed to drink ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please note that a child may cry either because he is hungry, has passed urine or stool, or wants to seek attention. Take note of the same. Other than that whatever you have described is normal and it persists till the age of six months. Hence do not worry. Giving w...  Read Full »