Formula Feeding

Why is there pooping in babies right after having formula milk?

Query: Hi doctor, My little one is 7 weeks old, and the last two days, I have had difficulty feeding her to her demands. Sometimes, it happens, and I substitute with milk formula, which has happened maybe six to seven times in the past. But the last two days, I had to supplement twice a day. Since she wou...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. 1. Feeding difficulty may arise because of two reasons: a. Improper latching. b. Improper position. 2. Usually, those baby who latches correctly do not require formula milk. The mother's breast milk is sufficient. 3. Mix feeding (breast m...  Read Full »

How can I stop daytime breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am exclusively breastfeeding my 7 months old baby. My baby has started solids. I give her two meals and two snacks. I am planning to go back to work now. My question is how do I stop daytime breastfeeding? Should I breast pump and bottle feed her or should I start Formula?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to breast pump and store the milk rather than Formula feed. The breast milk should be stored in hygienic conditions in the fridge separately from other food items. The milk need not be heated again before consumption but the bottle in which it is kept shoul...  Read Full »

What to do if you cannot produce breast milk?

Query: Hi i am not getting breast milk at all.i am drinking powder and i am using lactogag capsules but also it is not coming at all.what should i do. I am using tablets but it is not increasing at all.it have been one month i had delivery but till now no milk.can you please suggest any prescription for mi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi... its a very common complaint from mothers. First of all i need to know how old is your baby. Its birth weight and current weight. Can you quantify the approx amount of milk (even if drops) which u can express? Is it your first baby? I can understand how frustrating it will be to not get adequat...  Read Full »

My newborn is on formula feed and spits after every feed. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a baby boy via normal delivery. My ten days old infant weighs 3.1 kg, and height is 55 cm. My baby is on formula milk. The name is S26 Gold. Everytime after feeding, he either spit or vomit the milk. We burp him always after every feeding and let him stay upright for 30 minutes...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regurgitation of feeds is a very common problem. But if the baby is bringing our entire feeds, every time after feeding, then, the baby will not gain weight and height properly. The height and weight seem to be normal at present. I presume it was the same on the ...  Read Full »

What should I do to stop loose motion in my newborn due to cow's milk?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 months old. He always cries and sleep very less and always demand milk as I produce less milk. I gave him cow's milk with a little bit of sugar into it. And from the last two days, he is having losse motion. What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Hardika Kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suppose you are taking a lot of tension. Milk output has a correlation with maternal emotions. Positive outlook will stimulate the release of oxytocin that enhances milk production. You need to worry less. Have a good diet and maintain good hydration. Spend more ti...  Read Full »

How to know whether enough feeding is done for a baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 3 1/2 week old baby who I am formula feeding. I feed her 2 1/2 ounces about every 3 hours. She sucks the complete bottle down and is still sucking when I pull it out of her mouth. An hour after I feed her, she is very fussy. Her arms are going everywhere and her mouth is wid...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I always prefer a demand feeding as all babies are smart enough to decide for how much they want and how frequently. For the weight and age of your baby, she need about 3 ounces of milk every 3 hours, total about 700 - 725 ml in 24 hours. Fussiness after feeding and tu...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a baby to pass stools normally for about 8 times in a day?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby has severe reflux and is spitting a lot even if I elevate his pillow. The doctor has recommended to put him to sleep on his side. Now the baby is taking formula milk, antireflux which has calmed the spit up. However, the baby is going to stool eight times a day. The stool is ...  Read Full »

Dr. M.l.kothari

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to me hold the baby bottle at 90-degree so that only milk is sucked no air. After feeding put the baby on the left shoulder and pat just behind the stomach level for five minutes to burp on the back of the baby. Baby burp three to five times. After burpi...  Read Full »

Why does my 1-month-old baby scream throughout the night as if her belly hurts?

Query: My one month old usually eats around the clock and always had a lot of gas. The past several days, she will only eat 0.5-1 or 2 ounces at a time when she typically eats 3-3.5 ounces of formula. She rarely poops and if she does it's usually around 1-2am and has diarrhea. She also started screaming th...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, I will presume you had absolutely no other alternative than to start formula feeds for your baby. Babies having reduced stool frequency, passing loose water stools, excessive crying at night can al be because of the formula feed. Generally, babies tolerate Similac well. Please know that onc...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to stop breastmilk and start formula milk for a 3-month-old baby?

Query: My baby is 3 months old, last month he had rashes and a loose motion, we did a stool test of ph and reducing substance done, the report says that the reducing substance is positive, the doc advices to stop mothers milk and start isomil formula, the baby did not take isomil, so I continued with breas...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Am glad to hear you did not stop breast-feeding and that the baby’s weight gain is good. Babies of 3 months may pass stools after every feed-which means if you feed 10 times, they may pass stools 10 times. So that is not a thing to get worried. Regarding the colour of the stools, green-y...  Read Full »

Can changing formula milk cause diarrhea in 6-month-old babies?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby just turned 6 months. I gave him Nan Optipro One for his 1st to 6 months, now I gave him the follow up milk which is Nan Optipro Two. After two days of drinking, he is suddenly having diarrhea now (five times a day). I tried reaching out for a pediatrician in our area but they...  Read Full »

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your concern regarding your child. I would like to advise that transition can cause diarrhea but it should settle within four to five days. If it does not then we should change the feed. Ensure hydration, give him ORS (oral rehydration solution) solutio...  Read Full »