Q. I am not getting breast milk even after a month of delivery. Please help.

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2021

I am not getting adequate breast milk. I am taking Lactogag capsules. Even after taking it, I am not able to get enough milk. I had delivery a month back. But still, I do not have milk. Kindly suggest.

#

First of all, I need to know the age of your baby, birth weight, and current weight. Please mention the amount of milk expelled by you every day. Kindly provide these details to guide you further.

My baby's age is one month three days. Her birth weight is 3 kilograms and her current weight is 4 kilograms. I am expelling just a few drops not even 5 ml.

#

Please mention whether you use formula milk for your baby.

I am using formula milk for my baby.

#

Drink plenty of water. Sleep well. Decrease your stress or stop worrying. Feed your baby as frequently as possible. When your baby starts crying due to less milk, then you start to give formula feed. Regarding food, take lots of garlic, fenugreek, and green leafy vegetables. If you are willing to eat a non-vegetarian diet, try to eat lots of meat or fish. You need to know one thing that milk output gets increased when the baby sucks a lot. If you have any inverted nipple or pain over a nipple, then it needs to be addressed first. For medicines, you can take Perinorm 10 mg (Metoclopramide) two tablets three times a day. It is a vomiting medicine that shows a side effect of increased milk production. Even giving a few drops of mother's milk provides good immunity to the baby. Follow these measures for a week to ten days to see for improvement.

Please mention whether I have to take two tablets in the morning, afternoon, and night. Please mention whether it has to be taken after food or before food.

#

You can take it after food. But there is nothing wrong to take it before food. You need to take two tablets in the morning, afternoon, and night.

Please mention the days of taking it.

#

Kindly take it for ten days. Based on your response, we can decide further.

Can I have a change after taking it? Can I use a breast pump?

#

Milk output gets increased after taking this tablet. If you are willing to use a breast pump, then you need to use it every two to three hours. Do not be worried about the amount of milk. If you do not have anything, then just allow the baby to suck frequently.

Thank you for helping me.

#

Have a follow-up at any time.

I am using a breast pump since today. Even after using it, milk is coming in few drops. How many times do I need to use a breast pump? Will it increase my milk quantity when used regularly?

#

Your baby sucking from your breast will give better results. But breast pump helps to improve milk output if it is not painful. If it causes pain, then avoid using it often.

Can I use fenugreek capsules to increase my breast milk production?

#

Yes, you can try it.

Kindly suggest an alternative option.

#

Kindly take capsule Lactare two tablets three times a day.

Thank you for helping me.

#

You are welcome.

Is it good to use Perinorm or capsule Lactare?

#

You can take capsule Lactare. It is a lactation-improving capsule.

Is it good to use Perinorm or Lactare or Lactogag tablet?

#

For now, you can try using Perinorm and Lactogag capsule.

What can I do if my milk output remains less even after taking it?

#

You can try using Perinorm and Lactogag for now.

|