Q. What are the ways to avoid sugar in Formula milk for a baby?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on Jun 04, 2019

I have 3.5 months old baby. I do not have sufficient breastmilk, hence, was giving fomula milk. Baby was not satisfied with the taste of formula milk and was never having it properly, so one day my mother added sugar to formula milk and since that day my baby is having formula milk as per his requirement. Now, if we do not put sugar to formula milk, he will not have it. I am giving him Abbott semilac iq+ stage 1. Please let me know what can I do.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

You can keep reducing the sugar content of the milk slowly slowly until you reach a stage where there is no sugar in the milk. Also, you can check for your current milk output to see if even little is there. If even a little is there, please give the child breast for sometime and if the child suckles, let him suckle. After removing from the breast you can give the child some top feeds. That way the child will not stay hungry and your milk output will also increase. Slowly slowly a stage will come wherein your milk output will be enough to satisfy the hunger of the child and you will not need top feeds.

Can reduced feeding help cure 'pain while passing motions' in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is one month old. Her birth weight was 3.6 kg. After 15 days, she weighed 3.8 and then later she weighed 4.2 kg. Now, her current weight is 4.35 kg. She seems to pass drop by drop motion of about 15 to 20 times a day and she has some sharp pain followed by some intermitten...  Read Full »

My 5 months old baby often cries due to gas problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor,My baby has just completed 5 months. We are giving her formula milk since my wife had less milk. She has constant problems with gas. I have given her Colicaid before a feed and burp her 15 to 20 minutes after every feed and gas gets released as well. Even after that, she cries due to gas p...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to give formula to newborn for jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was born a week back. Upon leaving the hospital her jaundice levels were at 10.2. The follow-up appointment was yesterday and after doing a bilirubin test it went up to 11.2. The doctor stated I should start supplementing with formula as I am breastfeeding. However, she was...  Read Full »