Q. Birth control pills taken for regularizing period causing sporadic periods. Why?

Dr. Vidyaprem

I have been having very irregular periods since I began getting them. I have been on birth control to help manage and track them, but as of recently, I have been having more sporadic periods. For instance, from the beginning of January through the end of February, the pill I was on was no longer helping and I was on my period for two weeks at a time with five days gap in between each period. And I have been experiencing more intense cramps during my period that start in my lower abdomen and extend through to my butt. If I had to describe it, it feels like a stabbing pain from my belly button straight through my body to butt if that makes sense. I am 19 years old and I have never been to a gynecologist. Please help.

Dr. Vidyaprem

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

I can understand your concern and what you are going through is a hormonal problem. The regularity gradually sets in with maturation of the HPO (hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian) axis ( as you grow older), and the treatment of choice is hormonal pills.

The possibilities of your problem despite pills maybe

1) Missing pills in between.

2) Taking pills not on time (these two are the most common causes for such a scenario). 3) Dose of the pill may not be enough.

However, as you are complaining of severe pain, have an in-person gynecologist opinion. USG (ultrasound) abdomen is done to rule out uterine, and ovarian pathology. Nothing big to worry about and continue with hematinics. I hope this helps.

Hormonal.

USG abdomen and pelvis, Hb.

Uterine/ Ovarian causes.

Hormonal.

OCP (oral contraceptive pills) after the scan.

Excess weight gain can alter your cycle, so concentrate on weight reduction and iron-rich diet.

|