Q. Will stopping Yasmin pills cause delay in period in PCOS patient?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

I have been diagnosed with PCOS in 2016 and have been taking pills ever since. First, they were hormone-only pills, but I switched to contraceptive pills Yasmin in 2018. I stopped taking Yasmin last February 2020 since we were on lockdown and I had no access to a nearby drugstore. My last period was the last week of February also. I have not had a period since.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. See, you are having PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) since 2016 and you have been taking pills since then.

As you are aware that PCOS leads to irregular periods like some women experience more flow and frequent periods some have lesser flow and less number of periods. Now you see your body has gradually become hormone-dependent as you were earlier taking hormone pills and then Yasmin pills.

Yasmin is also a very popular pill but it is also hormone based and reduces the signs of acne besides being a contraceptive pill. Now as a PCOS patient and due to dependency on pills you are facing the absence of period since last week of February 2020.

My advice to you is for the immediate management of periods. You will have to take medicines again the hormone-based pills which your body is adapted to. Do not change the brand and dose. However, in the meantime, you have to take other steps like exercise to keep your weight, sugar, and BP in check.

How severe acne, hair growth you have been experiencing since the time you have stopped taking Yasmin? As you are aware there are more risks associated with PCOS so you may consider getting a scan done as you have not been able to visit a gynecologist for almost four to five years now.

|