Q. Can white lines around my wisdom teeth be cancer?

Dr. Bharat Joshi

I want to ask you about my wisdom teeth and the white spots around them. Approximately three to four months ago, I found white dots and lines around my wisdom teeth, which got slightly bigger. Do you know what it is? Could it be cancer? I am 24 years old and have had a habit of excessive chewing Swedish snus for almost ten years.

My second question is, should I get that wisdom teeth removed? Two dentists have said that I need all of my wisdom teeth removed, and two have said to remove only the teeth present on the right side (I have cracked teeth there for almost two years). I have never had pain or other difficulties on any side of the face. Only the white dots are there, which grew during the last few months.

Thanks for any comments. It is hard because every dentist suggests something different. I have not enquired about cancer yet because I had started to worry about it only a few days ago, after which I have not gone to them.

#

I hope I can lessen your discomfort. Based on the clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient's identity), left side involvement appears to be a little problematic, but X-rays show no cancerous involvement. Therefore, I would suggest that there is no need to go for an extraction. However, I would suggest you keep observing any changes in size and color of the involved mucosa. The white color is probably due to excessive load or keratosis (excessive keratin deposition over the skin or mucosa due to trauma), but there is no cancer. It can also be a tissue reaction that will subside by itself.

So again, I would suggest you not consider the tooth's extraction at present. Instead, consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the necessary steps with their consent. Just observe for now.

Thank you for your reply.

So, do you think I can keep my wisdom teeth even though it is very black on the left side? What about the other side where my upper wisdom tooth is cracked? Should that one be removed?

#

Yes, I would suggest you keep the tooth at present and keep observing for any changes. However, upper teeth are getting a bit angled, so I suggest you get individual X-rays to know their status. Also, the formation of one tooth is incomplete, so I suggest you wait for complete crown formation.

|