iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologyfungal infectionMy five year old child has fungal infection. Plesae help.

How to manage fungal infection?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 19, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 19, 2024

Patient's Query

My child is five years old. He has a fungal infection on his fingers, and the skin around his fingers is blistering and bleeding. The blisters are yellowish. Please help.

I have gone through the details and the images provided from your end and I do understand your concern.

As per the images (attachment hidden to protect the identity of the patient) that have been shared, it does not appear to be a fungal infection. It is called impetigo. Impetigo is a bacterial infection that is seen mostly among children including preschoolers. It is highly contagious and requires treatment with oral and topical antibiotics. Impetigo usually occurs by contact with an infected person directly or through touching the belongings of an infected person including clothes, bed linens, sofa covers, and so on. They may be mostly seen during humid weather and may also occur due to weakened immunity. It is very essential to make sure your child is having enough food and is getting enough sunlight at least one alternate day for 15 minutes anytime between 7 am and 8 am for vitamin D synthesis which is helpful in immunity.

My advice :

1. Mupirocin ointment: Make sure to apply mupirocin ointment thrice daily on the affected areas for three to four weeks.

2. Syrup Amoxicillin 250 mg/5ml: Consume 1teaspoon after breakfast and after dinner for five days.

3. Syrup Zincovit: Consume after dinner daily (about one teaspoon) for one month.

4. LS dew (silver oxide and triclosan) soap may be used for bathing.

Impetigo appears as blisters or red rashes mostly on palms and soles and may form honey coloured crusts on the affected area. They may be associated with extreme itching and sometimes pain due to open wounds. They can be treated with medications. Maintaining good immunity is also essential. In case of fever, paracetamol syrup or tablet may be consumed if needed.

I would also advise a direct consultation with a Paediatrician to examine the affected area to add any more medications or to advise remedies if needed.

Hope I could be of help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

Venereology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dermatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy