Q. My mom has discomfort and tightness in the upper abdomen. Could it be a stomach infection?

Dr. Girish C. Kamat

Hello doctor,

My 66 year old mother has a discomfort in the upper abdomen since five days. She is experiencing gas trouble and tightness in the upper abdomen. Her stools are a little constipated but, she is passing every day. Now, she has a fever between 99 to 100 degree from five days in the evening. She feels uncomfortable, especially after eating. Please advise. She is diabetic and hypertensive. Her doctor advised she take Medomol 500 and Rabez DSR both twice a day for five days. She also feels very weak. The doctor did a blood test, and a urine test and her WBC was quite high. Now, he has started her on Oflox OZ twice a day for five days along with Rabez DSR and Zantac. Please advise if the high WBCs are because of a stomach infection and if the medicines will help. I hope there is no cause of worry. Her current medications are Glycomet-GP 3/850, Voglibose 0.3, Telmisat AM 5 mg, Alzolam 0.5, Nexito 10 mg and Fibator 5 mg.

#

I have read your query and gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The hemogram indicates a rise in the neutrophil count, which is secondary to an acute infection.
  • The urine examination is normal. So, there is no urinary tract infection.
  • Please get an ultrasonography of the abdomen done, to rule infections such as cholecystitis. Even a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis will do, as it is necessary to know the site of infection. It is necessary because, in diabetics, infections can get complicated sometimes.
  • Her hemogram is also suggestive of beta thalassemia trait. This is a hereditary condition. You may get her blood tested for hemoglobin.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Will the current antibiotic Oflox OZ help as she has started it just today?

#

• It may help. But, it is always better to know the root cause of the problem. Even after knowing the diagnosis, we may give the same.
  • I suggest you wait for two days, and if the symptoms persist or worsen, get a CT scan done.

|