Q. Tests for stomach pain revealed a high eosinophil count. What to do?

Dr. Klerida Shehu
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a stomach ache from the last two months. It got worsened last week and I was admitted to a hospital. A lot of tests were done. The CBC revealed eosinophilia. The gastroscopy revealed an edematous duodenum. A duodenal biopsy was taken. I have attached my biopsy report. I want to understand the same.

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• I reviewed your biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the findings were normal. There is nothing to be worried about.
  • You will need to use PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) to improve your symptoms.
  • Regarding your eosinophilia, it may be elevated with fecal parasites. I suggest a fecal parasite test to better determine it.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

The doctor prescribed me medicines for stomach ulcer earlier but, I did not get any relief. I am already taking antacids but, no relief even with that. Please suggest what can be done.

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• As mentioned earlier, you should do a fecal test for ova parasites.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Eosinophilia: A Brief Discussion Regarding Causes and Management

Article Overview: Eosinophilia or a rise in the eosinophil count can occur due to allergy or skin infection, or due to HIV infection or cancer. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

Eosinophilia Definition Eosinophilia is said to be present when the absolute eosinophil count is more than 400/cmm (some books mention eosinophilia when the absolute count is more than 500/cmm). Etiology: I will describe in brief the causes of eosinophilia so that it will help in detecting the und...  Read Article

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full »