Q. My gastritis symptoms are not getting better even with medicines. What to do?

Dr. Tonina Sleiman
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 21-year-old female of height 5.4 feet and weight 48 kg. I was diagnosed with gastritis two years ago, and it seems to come back after some time. I have been taking antacids like Omeprazole, but it does not seem to stop. It has been months since I started feeling sick again. Have abdominal pains after eating and nausea, especially in the evening. I have been feeling nauseous, bloating, heartburns, chest pains, and abdominal pains almost daily for a while now. I am also finding it hard to eat. I have had multiple H.pylori tests; it has always been negative. Currently, I am taking Omeprazole and Ulgicid. What is your advice on what to do?

#

Regarding your medical history and your current complaints, you can keep using your medication, including proton pump inhibitor and antacid. You have to make dietary adjustments to avoid alcohol, spicy foods, and oily or fried foods by eating small portions more frequently. Eat healthy food rich in antioxidants and fiber as whole fruits and vegetables, whole-grain bread, yogurt, fish, and nuts. Avoid or reduce the use of NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). To manage your condition, you have to follow a combination of medications and lifestyle change. In case you are following this advice, then your symptoms are not related to an improper diet. I recommend you get tested for excluding possible complications of chronic gastritis such as abnormal stomach growth as polys, which could cause your current symptoms. You need as well to get tested for other complications like anemia caused by iron deficiency and vitamin 12 deficiency.

|