Genetic Counseling

Can two O positive blood group people get married?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have very good understanding. But, we have the same blood group that is O positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having same positive blood group could create problems for fut...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There are two major blood group systems and more than 400 minor blood group systems. The major blood group systems are ABO system and Rhesus system, which are important. In the ABO system, there is A, B, AB and O. While in Rh...  Read Full »

Is marrying a partner with same blood group harmful?

Query: Hello doctor, Blood group of the male is A positive and blood group of the female is A with Rh positive. Can they get married? Will they face any problem in getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no harm in marrying the partner of same blood group. Every individual has unique own blood group and ABO and Rh system used most commonly. If you want to do preconception counseling then investigate with CBC (complete blood count) and if needed HPLC (high-per...  Read Full »

I am planning to marry my cousin. Will it affect my baby with genetic issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am planning to marry my own cousin (my mother's own brother's child). Is there any precautions to avoid genetic problems for my baby or do we need to take any medication or treatment for a child. Please suggest with a better solution.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would be better if you would send me the background of your question. Any specific family history like thyroid, diabetes or any congenital anomalies, thalassemia, sickle cell disease or any other family history, then it needs precautions and even investigations. The ...  Read Full »

As me and my fiance are carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia, we need your valuable advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I found out that I am a carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia. The problem is that my fiance is also a carrier and he is carrying Hb E trait. We do not want to separate. If you can give us your valuable advice, then it will be a great pleasure for us.  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you provided, it seems that you has Hb E beta thalassemia trait and your fiance has only Hb E trait. If so, then the chance of having a child with severe thalassemia is less. But, if you both have same Hb E beta thalassemia trait, then there is a chan...  Read Full »

Will same blood group of couple create problem in the baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. I am planning to get married to a girl who is known to me. We have a very good understanding and we love each other. But, we have the same blood group that is B positive. Since blood group is a factor for having babies, do you think having the same positive blood group ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The same blood group people can marry and can produce a normal child. The same blood group is not at all contraindication for marriage and to produce the child. So do not worry about that. But if you both are relative, then genetic counseling before conception is nec...  Read Full »

Can same group people marry and have healthy children?

Query: Hi doctor, I am planning to marry a boy who is known to me. But we have the same blood group B positive. Can we have a problem in having children? Or any other health problems? Please clarify my doubt. If a problem is present, give me a solution to avoid it.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The same blood group people can marry and can produce a healthy child. Do not get worried as far as the blood group is concerned. If you both are relative, then genetic counseling before conception is advisable. You can rule out hemoglobinopathy by HB (hemoglobin) elect...  Read Full »

Will same blood group of husband and wife cause problem in pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I and my husband belong to A+ blood group. Is there any problem to get pregnant? And I may attain my periods one week before the date. Is this good for me?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The same blood group people can marry and produce a normal child. As far as same blood group people are concerned, do not worry about that. Rule out hemoglobinopathy before marriage by Hb electrophoresis by HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) method. If you...  Read Full »

Will marrying a girl of same blood group create any problems in having children?

Query: Hi doctor, I have A+ blood group. But, will marrying a girl of the same blood group (A+) create any problems in having children or they lead to a diseased child?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The same blood group people can marry and can produce a normal child. Check your both thalassemia minor report before marriage by HB electrophoresis, by HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) method that is necessary. If you both are relative, then genetic cou...  Read Full »

69-year old smoker diagnosed with colon cancer. Does she need chemotherapy?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 69 years old, smoker and she was diagnosed with colon cancer. She used to suffer from her stomach pain and we ended up doing a colonoscopy for it and the doctor found a tumor. We need to know what is the best way to help her and what is recommended in her case? Should the docto...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the reports of your mother (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per reports she has a sigmoid colon cancer. There is no distant spread of cancer (not spread outside colon) as per CT scan reports. The report is also showing multiple re...  Read Full »

Report says breast nodules are fibroadenoma, but I am terrified. Please help me.

Query: Hi doctor, They found two solid nodules around .09 cm on my left breast, one of which was suspicious finding BIRAD 4. On the ultrasonography, it looks black inside, wider than tall. Please help me out. I am terrified. The report said although it could be a fibroadenoma, it is still suspicious.  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the ultrasound report of the breast (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which is showing two suspicious solid nodules. Now, it is highly recommended to take a biopsy from both the solid nodules to confirm the diagnosis. Biopsy report ...  Read Full »