Q. As me and my fiance are carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia, we need your valuable advise.

Dr. Veerendra Channabasappa Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Recently, I found out that I am a carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia. The problem is that my fiance is also a carrier and he is carrying Hb E trait. We do not want to separate. If you can give us your valuable advice, then it will be a great pleasure for us.

#

• From the information you provided, it seems that you has Hb E beta thalassemia trait and your fiance has only Hb E trait. If so, then the chance of having a child with severe thalassemia is less.
  • But, if you both have same Hb E beta thalassemia trait, then there is a chance of having a beta thalassemia major child.
  • I would recommend you to get mutation analysis for both of you and consult a geneticist for more detailed counseling.
  • The option of prenatal diagnosis can be explored if you being found to be having significant issue in mutation analysis.

For further doubts consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|