Q. Eye test reports are normal, but have some vision problem in left eye. Why ?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife could not be able to see through her left eye. She has some pain near her eye like a headache, but there is no numbness or vomiting scenario. Now, her vision is at CF. We had our first visit before 10 days. The doctor did not find anything except the pressure is 29 and he suggested Tobramycin and Dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension for every six hours for a week. In the follow-up visit, the doctor found that her vision came down than earlier and the pressure raised to 40. He suggested an emergency MRI scan of the head, and it was normal. Then he suggested Travatan and Combigan and no cause identified. All these reports shared with our primary care doctor, and he advised to make another visit to the eye doctor and a neurologist checkup. As per his suggestion, we had another follow-up visit, and nothing found abnormal. They wanted to wait for a neurologist check, and until then my wife was asked to continue Travatan and Combigan. The report says everything is normal, but nothing is improved on her vision side. Can you please suggest us what we should do now?

#

I understand your concern. Please do not worry. In my opinion, there are two issues.

1. Glaucoma.
  2. Optic disc pathology.

It can be a POAG, primary open angle glaucoma and the treatment is antiglaucoma medicine. If the pressure is normal and optic disc is normal, then glaucoma is under control, and it is not the cause of low vision.

There is a very low vision in the left eye with RAPD (relative afferent pupillary defect) in left eye along and temporal pallor of the optic disc. It is suggestive of optic disc pathology and most likely optic neuritis (retrobulbar neuritis).

The treatment plan is as follows.

1. Dilated fundus examination. The doctor has mentioned that you refused it, please get it done.
  2. Colour vision assessment of fellow eye.
  3. Visual field assessment (perimetry) of the fellow eye.

MRI with contrast is the ideal investigation to look for demyelinating lesions in the brain as well as on optic nerve. Once the diagnosis is confirmed, we start high dose Methylprednisolone intravenously. Here, the prognosis is good, but some patients do not improve.

Revert with the reports to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with gl...  Read Full »

Glaucoma causing heaviness and itching in eyes. Please guide me.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male suffering from glaucoma since the last two years. I have heaviness and itching in my eyes. Please guide me on what to do.  Read Full »

What are the transparent gray colored thread-shaped things floating on my eye?

Query: Hi doctor, One day when I was walking in the snow, I noticed transparent gray color thread-shaped things floating on my eye. Especially when I concentrate on them and when it is bright. I have no other symptoms like blurry vision, eye pain or vision loss. They are very annoying and seem to drift whe...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»