Q. Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Published on May 10, 2018

My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with glaucoma. Upon asking about the remedies, doctors told that surgery could prevent from damaging further, but it will not help in recovering the eye power. I need some help to understand the best possible way to cure or prevent further vision loss. Can glaucoma and cataract get treated at the same time? Is that advisable? I have attached a recent report for your consideration. Thank you.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed all reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your doctor has correctly said that it is an advanced form of glaucoma. The treatment depends on the type of glaucoma, either open-angle glaucoma or closed angle glaucoma. It is diagnosed by doing gonioscopy.

• Treatment of open-angle glaucoma is mainly medical,
  • Treatment of angle closure is primarily surgical.

Yes, both cataract and glaucoma can be operated at the same time and same sitting. There is nothing wrong. The treatment is aimed at preventing further damage. Otherwise, recovery is not possible. Overall, your treatment is in the correct direction.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

My pupils are big after cataract surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cataract surgery. I can see objects only with the rigid lens and it is blurry. I cannot read anything. My eyes still get hurt by bright light and my pupils are big. Why?  Read Full »

How Do I Know If I Have Glaucoma?

Article Overview: Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of the optic nerve function, caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and essential preventive measures. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a prolonged deterioration of optic nerve function caused by various factors, one of which is the pressure of our eye. This article looks at the essential information you need to know to understand glaucoma, how to know whether you need to be checked for glaucoma, about its treatment and ...  Read Article

Dry Eyes After Cataract Surgery

Article Overview: This article deals with the surgery-induced dryness of the eyes, and this is important because often it may so happen that you may not be informed about this possibility before undergoing surgery. So, this article will help you be more informed about the outcome. Read Article

Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Eye surgeries including cataract surgery and refractive surgeries have advanced with newer developments in the field. But regardless of the surgery that you undergo, the incidence of dryness increases post-surgery and the incidence is higher in the predisposed individuals. This can be seen in patie...  Read Article