Q. Can glaucoma and cataract be operated at the same time?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

My mother, who is aged 57, had eye pain recently. We consulted a doctor and got to know that my mom has glaucoma. Also, they mentioned that it is in the advanced stage and severe of around 90%. From another couple of tests, they found that my mother needs cataract surgery along with glaucoma. Upon asking about the remedies, doctors told that surgery could prevent from damaging further, but it will not help in recovering the eye power. I need some help to understand the best possible way to cure or prevent further vision loss. Can glaucoma and cataract get treated at the same time? Is that advisable? I have attached a recent report for your consideration. Thank you.

#

I reviewed all reports carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your doctor has correctly said that it is an advanced form of glaucoma. The treatment depends on the type of glaucoma, either open-angle glaucoma or closed angle glaucoma. It is diagnosed by doing gonioscopy.

• Treatment of open-angle glaucoma is mainly medical,
  • Treatment of angle closure is primarily surgical.

Yes, both cataract and glaucoma can be operated at the same time and same sitting. There is nothing wrong. The treatment is aimed at preventing further damage. Otherwise, recovery is not possible. Overall, your treatment is in the correct direction.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|