Q. Will IGF-1 go down to normal after stopping growth hormone replacement therapy?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I am a 20-year-old man who has used growth hormone replacement therapy, Somatropin, for a year to combat asthma. I made an error in my original dosing and now have learned I have been overdosing (approximately 20 mg per week). Three weeks ago, I started to feel fatigued. I could not concentrate at work. Stopped the medication. Yet three weeks after stopping RHGH my IGF-1 is still 2.2 SD above normal, at 500. My GH readings are basically zero (.2), indicating that the IGF-1 is suppressing my natural production. Three weeks ago I developed brain fog, a disconnected feeling, so I stopped the Somatropin. Currently, I am taking just asthma medication (Advair). But I still feel very fatigued and cannot work. I have cut back on proteins. I have three questions:

1. Will the IGF-1 go down to normal, and how long?
  2. Is there a medication that can lower my IGF-1?
  3. Is the fatigue from constantly high IGF-1 or because I am not producing GH?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have used Somatropin without actually having any growth hormone deficiency. First of all please do not restart it at any cost. Secondly, visit a cardiologist for your symptoms as the major side effect could possibly have some effect on your heart. Thirdly if it turns out that your heart is good then have a checkup with the endocrinologist for finding any effects on your brain.

I am sorry these are the side effects which can occur after prolonged usage of the said drug. If hopefully everything turns out to be normal with your brain and heart then you can just wait for some months for your pituitary to produce your own natural hormones. There has to be a proper assessment by an endocrinologist before any treatment could be given if at all to reverse it. Yes, your fatigue is due to it.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|