Q. Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini V Swamy and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hair Loss or Hair Color? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my hair is like clumping in knots because all the pieces have broken off and have fallen together. The pieces are breaking off where the bleach overlapped, which is only like an inch from my root. I realize I caused the damage and the best way to stop it from breaking off is to not dye it or use any heat on it. But is there any way I can keep the rest of my hair from breaking off? I am about to take Viviscal.