Q. Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Dec 21, 2017

I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my hair is like clumping in knots because all the pieces have broken off and have fallen together. The pieces are breaking off where the bleach overlapped, which is only like an inch from my root. I realize I caused the damage and the best way to stop it from breaking off is to not dye it or use any heat on it. But is there any way I can keep the rest of my hair from breaking off? I am about to take Viviscal.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Bleaching repeatedly would cause damage to the Disulfide bonds present in the hair, which is most often temporary.

You definitely need hair nutrients like biotin, cysteine, selenium, calcium pantothenate, zinc, vitamin C to restore normal growth pattern of hair.

Please go through the contents of Viviscal (Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Biotin, Niacin, Vitamin E, Iron, Zinc) supplement and start using it if it has the above-mentioned entities. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

Along with these supplements, I would like to mention few hair care tips here:

• Always use lukewarm water for hair wash, never hot shower.
  • Do not use a blow dryer to dry hairs, heat causes damage to hair protein.
  • Do not comb when the hairs are wet.
  • Use a comb which has wide space between each tooth and the tip of comb teeth should be blunt. Always comb gently, do not rush through.
  • Hair is made up of a protein called, keratin. Hence your diet should have sufficient protein.
  • No nicotine as nicotine cuts off blood supply to the hair root and diminishes the healthy growth of hair.
  • Avoid hot iron straightener on regular basis, you can use it once or twice in six months.
  • Use mild shampoo for hair wash.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article

What causes dull headache that does not shift?

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had headache in late night. I managed to sleep, but it was still there in the morning. It was unilateral headache¬†on the left side of my head. Pain is in my temporal area which sometimes radiates across my cheek and even down my jaw, as well as on the top left of my...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. My main concern here would be trigeminal cephalgia, the most common being trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is a sharp shooting unilateral headache that becomes extremely worse with nerve irritation that could be caused by shaving, brushing (hair or teeth...  Read Full