Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Do I need to check TSH along with HAMA for hashimoto's thyroiditis?

Query: I have been having issues with my thyroid for several years - about 4, I believe. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and have been on treatment for about a year and a half. I had an ultrasound done because I was having pain on the right side of my neck and the results showed, aside from a small ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasir

Pain Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello let me briefly explain to you how hashimoto's thyroiditis works. basically what happens in hashimoto's thyroiditis is are thyroid attacked by certain or substances known as antibodies which are produced by the body. this is a disease state because the body is producing antibodies against its ...  Read Full »

Please give your opinion about my ANA report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a positive ANA for at least 12 years with no other positive tests for autoimmune disease. My other symptoms are fatigue and some joint pain in hands and knees. Recently, I had a positive ANA of 1:640 speckled pattern with a note saying dense fine speckled pattern is noted. DN...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are fine. Please do not worry as nearly all your reports are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and you are taking correct medicines also. As per your ANA (antinuclear antibody) with dense speckled patters is noted, I must say that there are many fa...  Read Full »

Which of the two opinions for my TSH value is correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I am very concerned about my health. I made an appointment last year with an endocrinologist. I had a laboratory work and my TSH was 3.4. It was considered normal on laboratory ranges. But, my primary doctor said that 3.4 is high on what it should be consider the new normal. My LDL chole...  Read Full »

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Work up of hypothyroidism involves just TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or TSH and free T4. TT3 (triiodothyronine) or reverse T3 has no role in the diagnosis of hypothyroidism and it is useful in hyperthyroidism. TSH more than 10 is hypothyroidism and definitely need...  Read Full »

Kindly explain my abnormal CBC values with Hashimoto's disease.

Query: Hello doctor, I have autoimmune issues (Hashimotos and complete alopecia). For the last few years, my annual CBC has shown raised monocytes and eosinophils. My latest monocytes are 9.9% and eosinophils 5%. I have had low hemoglobin for years. My ESR is raised to 80 over the last five years, and my ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion about your case. In your attached complete blood count (CBC) (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the important findings are low Hb (hemoglobin), PCV (packed cell volume), low platelet, high RDW (red cell distribution width), high ...  Read Full »

What causes muscle and joint pain with inflammation of the body?

Query: I am 51, female and a T2 diabetic. I have hashimoto disease and my thyroid swings the pendulum from over to under active at least 3x a year so meds are adjusted accordingly. My iron is low, ferritin is 10. Regular blood tests show high cholesterol, normal liver enzymes and normal WCB. I also have in...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi ma’am Welcome to icliniq Thank you for writing us and i am concern about you. Ma’am actually looking at your history we cannot say that you have ms or parkinsons. There can be various reasons for such pain and muscle spasm in neck region. First of all as you have mentioned you have ...  Read Full »

Can Hashimoto's thyroiditis result in high ANA titer?

Query: Hi there. I’m currently going through the whole diagnosis process of an autoimmune disease. I have positive ANA titer of 1:5120 with a homogenous pattern. We narrowed down most of my issues to Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, however I tested positive for a Centromere B Antibody, I was wonderin...  Read Full »

Dr. Sayan Mukherjee

Answer: such a high tire ANA with centromere positive and musculoskeletal and systemic complaints usually associated with sjogrens, MCTD regarding you age of 19 which is less likely. but you have overlapping feature with other autoimmune disease. so I think currently your disease in a stage of undifferentia...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for hair loss in eyelashes?

Query: Hello doctor, My main problem is alopecia. I had it from 2015 with several patches on the head and now they are gone, but the problem is my eyelashes are gone and never grew back. I used castor oil, garlic, and now Revitalash and other things. Two years ago a rheumatologist prescribed me Dolquine an...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concern is genuine and you are so brave and facing all challenges very bravely. You did not mention your prolactin and thyroid hormone levels. Loss of hair can be autoimmune as you were treated for it as well and due to Hashimoto as well. If there is no skin issu...  Read Full »

Why do I feel fatigued even after a year of treatment for hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's. My doctor currently only tests my TSH and treats me with Levothyroxine. I feel extreme fatigue after a year of this treatment, even with my TSH in the normal range. My doctor says free T4 and reverse T3 are not important labs to run. I am wondering ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Good day and thanks for your query. Some people treated for hypothyroidism may still experience symptoms even if blood tests show that their thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels are well within the normal range. The reasons for this are complex, but the bottom line...  Read Full »

What medicines can I take for my thyroid problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 40 year old. Recently I tested my thyroid and the report shows T3 - 1.1, T4- 8.4 and TSH - 6.7. Please advise me which medicine is currently safe for me. My health problem includes fatigue and occasional depression. Also my lips are dry. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

Will Hashimoto's thyroiditis lead to thyroid cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I felt like a lump in my lower throat. The doctor did a physical examination and noticed two nodules and sent me for an ultrasound. The result came back that the thyroid as a whole was hyperemic and heterotrophic in the background appearance. The le...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data posted. From the details posted it appears as autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimotos). Kindly tell us the thyroid blood reports to know the control. Do you hear any sound while breathing (stridor) which indicates pressure on trachea? ...  Read Full »