Q. Can Hashimoto's disease cause enlarged lymph nodes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Sep 19, 2017

I am a 30 year old female. I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism since four years. I take Eltroxin daily and go for a thyroid sonar once a year. I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my report stated that my thyroid features are consistent with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But, what really freaked me out was these two comments:

1. Prominent lymph nodes are seen within the right cervical chain, with the largest on the right measuring 4.9 mm in its short axis and on the left 3.4 mm in its short axis.
  2. A small cystic focus noted in the medial and anterior aspect of the right lobe.

What does this mean? Should I be concerned? I was sick with a bad flu about four weeks ago, had a high fever and ended up on antibiotics. Could the lymph nodes still be swollen from that? Or can the lymph nodes be swollen due to an autoimmune disease? I have alopecia areata as well since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My immune system seems to be very weak. I constantly get flu, colds, and tummy bugs and I suffer badly from allergies or sinuses.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you do have some enlarged lymph nodes. Yes, there are two possibilities but it is more likely that these are due to:

1. The upper respiratory tract infections which you keep having.
  2. It could be due to the thyroid as well.
  • The best approach would be to repeat your ultrasound again in a month's time and if it has not resolved, I suggest that you have an FNAC (fine-needle aspiration cytology) done.
  • Besides, I would also like to know whether you currently have a fever, throat pain, sore throat or any other symptoms.
  • I suggest that you wait and see whether they resolve or if they are still present after a month.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Thank you very much for the response. I currently have sinus issues daily. Every morning, I wake up sneezing and with a runny nose. I can feel the mucus in my throat, watery eyes and headaches. Sometimes, the sinus pressure gives me a toothache in my lower jaw, like a general ache.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• So, it appears to be due to these infections that you are probably having these lymph nodes. You can wait for another month and repeat your ultrasound again.
  • Try to take steam inhalations thrice a day.
  • For your allergy, I suggest you try taking tablet Loratadine 10 mg once at night for five days.
  • Use normal saline nasal drops for one or two weeks.
  • You can take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg once whenever you have pain.
  • Have a dental checkup since the lower jaw pain cannot be sinus-related.

Hope you feel better soon.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. During an upper respiratory tract infection, like cold, the infection can rise up to ears through the eustachian tube that connects back of nose to middle ear. That is what has happened to you during the cold. It is called eustachian tube catarrh. You need a course of ...  Read Full

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having upper respiratory tract infection. You can have associated middle ear infection because of the presence of ear pain. You can take Levocetirizine for five days. For fever and pain relief, you can take Paracetamol 500 mg. Steam inhalation can be done three ...  Read Full

I have serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having serious sleep paralysis. In it I feel like I can move my muscle a bit like slightly moving my finger or speaking short words like "maa". But I think I am hallucinating that too. Plus I am having acute bronchitis in this case and have to breathe through the mouth. So I have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Sekhri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As far as your bronchitis is concerned, I advise my patients to avoid smoking and take steam inhalation twice a day. I also advise syrup Phensedyl BR (Ambroxol and Guaifenesin) 2.5 ml twice a day for five days and tablet Allegra M one tablet at night for five days. If ...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now