iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicinemuscle painWhat causes muscle and joint pain with inflammation of the body?

I suffer from deep muscle and joint pain with inflammation throughout my entire body. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At September 15, 2020
Reviewed AtDecember 5, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 51-year-old female, and I am a T2 diabetic. I have Hashimoto's disease, and my thyroid swings the pendulum from over to underactive at least 3x a year, so medicines are adjusted accordingly. My iron is low, and ferritin is 10. Regular blood tests show high cholesterol, normal liver enzymes, and normal WCB. I also have creatinine in range.

I suffer from deep muscle pain, joint pain, and inflammation throughout my entire body. I wake up swollen and tense, and it takes an hour to walk without discomfort. My head feels like it weighs 100 lbs, and my neck is stiff - I mean reduced ability to turn each way. I cannot check sideways while driving; I have limited movement to look back. I also feel trembling in my heart or chest area. It is not flippy, fluttering. It is actual shaking, vibrating, trembling. I do not know if it is in the heart or chest. I cannot tell. I was diagnosed with pre beats and presyncope a year ago, where I was told one chamber moves faster than the other. I had a CT with dye, and it came back normal for whatever they are looking for. I know my iron is very low and was sent to an internist who said if they cannot get it up, he suggests IV iron.

There is persistent body inflammation, no edema, but more like my fascia feels like it is inflamed and that it is very thick and heavy. Rings do not come off in the morning. There is facial swelling. Anytime I get even slightly hot or stressed, my face swells up (puffs up). I have chest tremble, heart palpitations occasionally, heavy head, neck movement restricted tight like a rock on shoulders and back, overall joints, muscles, and mobility seem to be declining. I keep dropping things.

Can you give me any insight into what I can do to get these issues looked at and what possibilities there maybe? I do not feel like my doctor is hearing me. She just says take Aspirin. Am I getting MS or Parkinson's?


Answered by Dr. Sugreev Singh


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for writing us, and I am concerned about you. Actually, looking at your history, we cannot say that you have MS or Parkinsons. There can be various reasons for such pain and muscle spasm in the neck region. First of all, as you have mentioned, you have low iron for long. Yes, that could be the reason for your weakness and body ache. Another one is if bone marrow function can be impaired due to long-term anemia. So it is possible your bones are not strong enough to produce enough blood cells, and you always lack normal body function. There can be a herniated disc or slip disc in the neck region, so you can go for MRI or scan reasons to look out what is actually going on there. As you mentioned, you had some heart pathology, but later on, it was diagnosed as normal. What about your blood pressure? Is it high or low? If it is high, then there are chances your headache is associated with that. Your history represents your endocrine symptoms are lacking to function normally like thyroid and sugar etc. So I would recommend you to consult an endocrinologist with all your history and reports and do further testing if needed and make a confirmed diagnosis.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sugreev Singh
Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy