Q. I have irritation type of headache due to prolonged lying in quarantine period. Please help.

Dr. Mahendra Thakre
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I have a headache in my upper part of the head. I do not know if it is connected with my neck because I had stiff neck due to my sleeping position. Well I lay down to bed most of the time due to quarantine and after I had that stiff neck I had this. It is not actually a headache, I guess it is like irritation in my upper head. I do not know if it should be treated with a pain reliever. As it is not that severe I did not take it.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

I understand your concern. I need to know more about your headache.

How and when does it start? Is it unilateral or both sides? Is it intermittent or continuous or any diurnal variation? Any aggravating or relieving factors? Light or noise sensitivity? Does it associate with nausea, vomiting, or blurring of vision? Did you have a history of migraines or asthma? Any history of fever or sinusitis?

You should always note the red flags of headache such as sudden onset of headache, the onset of headache after 50 years of age, increased frequency or severity of headache, new onset of headache with an underlying medical condition, headache with concomitant systemic illness (fever and weight loss), focal neurologic signs or symptoms, blurring of vision. In that case, you need urgent evaluation.

If they are absent, you need not be worried.

Some times neck muscle tension stiffness may lead to headaches, as in your case. Simple Paracetamol or muscle relaxant will be useful. Adjust your sleeping position, try not to use high pillows.

Another most common cause of headache is migraine. Simple Paracetamol at the onset of the headache will be helpful. Also, avoid triggers that lead to a headache. You should have adequate sleep, avoid stress, and take meals on time.

|