iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)hearing testI want to know how hearing tests work. Please help.

How do hearing tests work?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 12, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 12, 2024

Patient's Query

I was researching a subject for a project when I came across a study in the journal of otolaryngology head and neck. I found this in the context of ear health and hearing tests. Can you please help me understand the basics of ear health, and how these hearing tests work? How can one use these test reports to create hearing aids? Also what stops one from making permanently implanted devices to heal hearing? Please let me know of the recent advancements as well.

Thank you for stopping by!

I am here to provide an expert opinion on your medical issues.

I am glad you are interested in learning about ear health, hearing tests, and hearing aids. I will provide a brief overview of these topics and mention some recent developments.

Ear health and hearing: The ear is a complex organ responsible for converting sound waves into electrical signals that the brain can interpret as sound. It consists of three main parts: the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner ear. Each part plays a crucial role in the process of hearing. Ear health is essential for maintaining proper hearing and overall well-being. Factors that can affect ear health include infections, exposure to loud noises, aging, and certain medical conditions. Maintaining good ear health involves protecting your ears from loud noises, keeping them clean, and seeking prompt medical attention for any ear-related issues.

Hearing tests: Hearing tests are conducted to assess an individual's ability to perceive and understand sounds. There are various types of hearing tests, but the most common ones include:

1. Pure-tone audiometry: This test measures the quietest sound level a person can hear at different frequencies (pitches). Headphones or earphones are used to present sounds, and the person indicates when they hear a sound by pressing a button or raising their hand.

2. Speech audiometry: In this test, the person listens to spoken words at different volume levels and repeats them back. This helps determine how well the person can understand speech.

3. Tympanometry: This test measures the middle ear function by assessing the eardrum's movement in response to varying air pressure.

4. Otoacoustic emissions (OAE) testing: This non-invasive test evaluates the health of the outer hair cells in the inner ear by measuring the echoes produced in response to a sound stimulus. These tests provide valuable information about a person's hearing abilities, which can help in determining the need for hearing aids or other interventions.

Hearing aids and implanted devices: Hearing aids are small electronic devices worn behind or in the ear. They amplify sound, making it easier for individuals with hearing loss to hear and understand speech and other sounds. Hearing aids can be programmed based on the test results to provide the most suitable sound amplification for the individual's needs. Permanently implanted hearing devices, such as cochlear implants and bone-anchored hearing aids (BAHA), are alternatives for individuals with severe hearing loss who do not benefit from conventional hearing aids. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that replace the function of damaged hair cells in the inner ear by directly stimulating the auditory nerve. BAHA is a surgically implanted device that helps conduct sound vibrations through the skull to the inner ear. Recent advancements in hearing aid technology include:

1. Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to improve sound processing and personalization.

2. Wireless connectivity and compatibility with smartphones and other devices for remote control and streaming of audio.

3. Rechargeable batteries for improved convenience.

4. Advanced fitting methods and software to better match the hearing aid settings to the individual's hearing loss profile. In summary, ear health is crucial for maintaining proper hearing, and hearing tests help assess an individual's hearing abilities.

Hearing aids and implanted devices can help improve hearing for those with hearing loss, and recent advancements in technology continue to enhance the effectiveness and convenience of these devices.

I hope this information helps provide some insight into your symptoms.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Dr. Vandana Andrews

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy