Hearing Test

My premature baby has failed his hearing test. What to do next?

Query: Hello doctor,I am writing regarding the newborn screening of my baby. He was prematurely born at 29 weeks and spent 40 days in NICU. During his stay, we tested his hearing via OAE method. At first, both the ears did not respond and in the second screening, the left ear was perfect. But, there was ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The BERA (brainstem evoked response audiometry) report shows a profound hearing loss in the right ear. OAE (otoacoustic emissions) shows an absence of OAE in the right which means the inne...  Read Full »

Why am I having right ear fullness and background noise?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having right ear fullness and it started several days ago. Last night I awoke due to a pulsating pain in my right ear. I hear some background noise and in silent environment, it is most evident. Is that fine? I had Bell's palsy 2.5 months ago on the left side and again, a month ago o...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having sensorineural hearing loss. It is in early stage and mild. So, you are having pulsation in the ear. Another important thing is bilateral Bell's palsy. It is not common. Having facial palsy is not good and the developing sensorineural component...  Read Full »

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need a proper evaluation with audiogram and impedance to prevent recurrence. I suggest you tablet Allercet L (Levocetirizine) one at night with Nasivion nasal drops two drops twice daily for five days. Please review with reports. Revert with reports to an ENT otolary...  Read Full »

My hearing is muffled after a noise-induced hearing loss incident. Will it ever get better?

Query: Hello doctor, I experienced a noise-induced hearing loss incident three days ago by firing a couple of shots from a rifle without using ear plugs. I went to see a doctor. He confirmed that my eardrums were not ruptured and prescribed 20 mg of Prednisone. As of now, my hearing is still muffled, loud...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. We must continue the course of steroids (Prednisone). With time, we do hope that the hearing returns. It is hard to predict how much of an improvement you will have. It depends on the intensity of the sound that you exposed your ears to while firing. Since the duration...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Family Physician, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned. In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatm...  Read Full »

What can be done for age-related hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,My 68 year old mother has a hearing problem. I understand it is due to her age but is there any device which can enhance the hearing in her case?  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay S Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are various causes for hearing problems. Among them, the most common one is an age-related hearing loss known as presbycusis. If hearing loss is significant and confirmed by an audiological examination such as pure tone audiogram, she can use hearing aids. Hear...  Read Full »